+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 468 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888138 ... LastLast
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

I'm allergic to bananas and all melons, just to name 2. It goes into that mouth/throat itching thing. People allergic to melons usually also have trouble with ragweed. I also raise my hand on that one.

Here's some info for us folks allergic to bananas (which I dearly love).

Help - I Am Allergic To Banana
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3250466;
    I'm allergic to bananas and all melons, just to name 2. It goes into that mouth/throat itching thing. People allergic to melons usually also have trouble with ragweed. I also raise my hand on that one.

Here's some info for us folks allergic to bananas (which I dearly love).

Help - I Am Allergic To Banana
    That was interesting Shay. My daughter has a problem with bananas, but not with kiwi or avocado's which the articles says are related. She sees her allergist after Christmas so I'm going to ask him about this. Helpful article, thanks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I can't do kiwis, either.

And, bug, stop pushing your luck with the foods that give you the itchy allergy symptoms! One day, you just might go a step too far and end up in the ER. :nono (I'm waiting for the, "Yes, Ma'am".)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just learned something about boiled eggs.

Starting the eggs in water that is already boiling helps keep the shells from sticking to the eggs, which is what makes them difficult to peel. Eeeee-Mazing! I'm making tuna salad today; I guess we will see.

I also learned that it's not slamming an oven door, or anything "vibrational" that causes a souffle to fall; it's the temperature difference caused by opening the oven door. (Not that I'd ever be caught making a souffle!)

Hey, I may need these little facts on Jeopardy one day!

MRD

If I know I'm going to make deviled eggs, I buy the eggs several days in advance. More "mature" eggs (I won't say older as it makes them sound like they should be tossed instead of eaten. ) will peel easier than fresh from the store ones.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

What I also read was that in "older" (or rather "more mature) eggs, the whites shrink, thus creating more room between the egg and the shell. Another amazing fact for me, the ultimate non-cook.

All of my little egg facts!

Brown eggs have thicker shells than white eggs. Interesting suggestion was that you buy brown eggs every other time and rotate them with the white eggs so that you will always know which is the freshest/newest. (OK, if you say so.) The only difference between brown eggs and white eggs is the type of hen that lays them. The guys told me that brown hens lay brown eggs. Okey-dokey! They should not cost more, but I've heard that they do. Can you say "ripoff"??

My son swears that brown eggs taste better than white eggs. I can't tell the difference but for some reason I prefer brown eggs. Don't have a clue why!!

Because they are cooler looking?

I can't remember where I heard this, but there's a jingle that goes "Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh"
    CYA

Mr. M swears by the brown eggs as well.

+ Reply to Thread