Like Tree499Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I make turkey casserole/pie. It freezes well that way
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Ever since I saw a product on the show, Shark Tank, I've been yearning for some authentic gumbo. This product is called a Gumbo Brick, and you just add whatever meat/seafood (about 5 pounds, I think) you want; everything else is in the Brick....roux and all. Right now, they just sell it for fundraisers, but the woman got a Shark deal so I have to stay on the lookout for it. She, apparently, had been selling it at a Costco; the Sharks loved it! That they took a chance on her says a lot. I haven't had any gumbo since my grandfather's 100th birthday, when a Creole cook from New Orleans came to my sister's house and made it for everybody. TO DIE FOR!!!! That was a pretty stellar idea!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've never had any authentic Gumbo, but that stuff sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I bought a turkey back in November when they were super cheap and stowed it in the freezer. I realized last night that I don't have too many days left to cook it before fall - it would just be TOO HOT to have the oven on that long - so I popped it into the fridge last night. I should be roasting a turkey early next week! I love how the instructions tell you to defrost the turkey for 2-3 days. I'm pretty sure that, in 2-3 days, it'll still be hard as a rock.

In less than a week (hopefully), it's going to be all turkey all the time! I tried freezing one of the breasts the last time I roasted a turkey, but it was all weird and spongy when I thawed it out. Now I know I need to use it all as quickly as possible. I could probably make soup or something else like that and freeze it, but just "loose," it didn't freeze well. Maybe the dark meat would freeze better
    I make a version of a turkey stew that freezes well. I buy the hottest Italian sausage I can find, cut it up in bite sized pieces, pan fry it, toss the cooked turkey, some garlic and onion in and let them absorb the spicy oils from the sausage, add chopped okra, a tin of tomatoes (+-) depending on how much you are making, put water in the tomato can and pour that in, bring it to a boil and add a package of frozen tortillini pasta (meat or cheese, your choice) I freeze it in individual portions and the kids take them to university for an easy microwave meal.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Wow! That really sounds good.
    Count your blessings!

Thanks for the recipe idea! I'm going to make at least two pots of soup in the next few weeks and that one looks like a nice change from the usual. I think I'll make a few batches of soup and freeze them. I hate the idea of wasting ANY of it. It's a slightly smaller turkey than I've bought previously - maybe 15 pounds (vs 18-20) - so I won't have quite as much meat as I have had before. Still, I'm going to be scrambling to make sure it's all used. I bought some bread for sandwiches, potatoes for turkey hash, and fixings for soups. I'll make turkey stock too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You sure do like turkey! I don't think that I know anybody who seems to like it as much as you do.

Have fun doing your thing!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I cant stand it. We only have Turkey because hubby loves it ,I need mega cranberries with it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I love turkey, too. When they are so cheap just before Thanksgiving, I put several in my upright freezer for several months ahead. I can eat turkey any time.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    You sure do like turkey! I don't think that I know anybody who seems to like it as much as you do.

Have fun doing your thing!
    I like not spending a lot of money. I can buy a turkey in November for less than $10. It will feed me for weeks.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread