+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

The more you do it, the more you'll know what's coming next. The big thing is to KEEP MOVING, even if you have to make up your own moves. Perfection is not important....continuous movement is! Hang in there!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've had to talk my son through making tuna salad on the phone. He is such a panicker. Hard to convince him that there is no wrong way to make this stuff unless you put something ridiculous in it (like cinammon!). He needs to find his own way, and what he likes; my way is not HIS way, even though he ate it that way for years!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Snickering at the idea of talking someone through making tuna salad. Heaven help him if he had to make something really complicated!

At least he's making some effort to learn, though. My nephew can cook for himself (mostly as in heating things up in the microwave) but he's too lazy to do so if there's anyone else at home to do it for him. Unless he's changed. I haven't seen him in several months and he and his wife had a baby about a year ago so maybe he is actually making meals for a change.

I can just picture the Food Police coming to haul your son away because he didn't use enough mayonnaise in his tuna salad. Or worse yet, he added cinnamon to it. That will get you five to life in some states, depending on the judge! Hehehehe!

I have a similar problem with people asking me in detail what I eat for breakfast, lunch, and supper since I've started dieting and lost a lot of weight. I can tell them but that won't necessarily make them lose weight as quickly and be satisfied with their meal plan. They have to discover for themselves what foods they like and what quantities they need to eat to lose weight. I might be perfectly happy with rice, vegetables, and cream cheese or crescent roll pizza but if those foods don't appeal to them, they won't be able to stick to that diet and could end up overeating on unhealthier choices.
    Last edited by pikachu; 05-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Exactly!!! My son used to be much more adventurous in the kitchen, and even did a summer cooking camp when he was in grade school. His dad is a dynamite cook; it's his mother who is really challenged, but I could do enough to keep food on the table. He was always so proud of his nasty scrambled eggs with cinammon and sugar in them; he used to invite his rugrat friends in for breakfast, and they LOVED that crap. He went to college, and I think any interest in cooking he had went out the window. His favorite Saturday morning television show was Yan Can Cook ,; nothing that I ever saw, but had to hear about.

I've told him that there's not much you can do wrong unless you just combine some ridiculous things together that just do not complement each other; it's all about what you like. Those college meal plans hinder students who do not have some kind of, even, simple culinary interest.

I told him that he could pick up some really basic things off The Cooking Channel, but he says he doesn't have time for that! He'd rather pull a recipe off the internet and try to go from there.....but I even had to tell him HOW TO BOIL AND PEEL AN EGG!!!!

I swear, sometimes, I think I brought the wrong baby home from the hospital.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-14-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    pikachu likes this.

I need a cookie.

Son and GF just got engaged. I don't want frumpy mother of the groom clothing so that should be enough motivation to keep my hands out of the chip bag, right?
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Congrats tbamom! Perhaps you'd like to browse through some bridal magazines or store websites and search for something you like in a smaller size to help you stay motivated.

Thanks. Yes I have been Pinteresting looking at how I don't want to look. I have a few years to get it sorted. Just need to stop buying the stuff I can't keep out of.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Thanks. Yes I have been Pinteresting looking at how I don't want to look. I have a few years to get it sorted. Just need to stop buying the stuff I can't keep out of.
    I am sure( make that know) you will look lovely. Don't be so hard on yourself
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I bought a turkey back in November when they were super cheap and stowed it in the freezer. I realized last night that I don't have too many days left to cook it before fall - it would just be TOO HOT to have the oven on that long - so I popped it into the fridge last night. I should be roasting a turkey early next week! I love how the instructions tell you to defrost the turkey for 2-3 days. I'm pretty sure that, in 2-3 days, it'll still be hard as a rock.

In less than a week (hopefully), it's going to be all turkey all the time! I tried freezing one of the breasts the last time I roasted a turkey, but it was all weird and spongy when I thawed it out. Now I know I need to use it all as quickly as possible. I could probably make soup or something else like that and freeze it, but just "loose," it didn't freeze well. Maybe the dark meat would freeze better
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread