+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Or if your lazy like me....I found Spinach & Kale with sea salt corn chips made by The Better Chip in the deli section at Publix. Also at Publix, Sweet Potato chips made by Food Should Taste Good are equally as good.They are both gluten-free. I've been eating them with hummus and other veggie dips. Very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I didn't know you could buy them anywhere. They're pretty delicate, so I would think they'd start out as a bag of kale chips and turn pretty quickly into kale powder. They're pretty easy to make.
    There's a lot of powder at the bottom of the bag (or box, at other stores). That's why we make our own. I'm fairly certain that we use A LOT less salt than the store brands.
    Critical likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Or if your lazy like me....I found Spinach & Kale with sea salt corn chips made by The Better Chip in the deli section at Publix. Also at Publix, Sweet Potato chips made by Food Should Taste Good are equally as good.They are both gluten-free. I've been eating them with hummus and other veggie dips. Very tasty.
    Yummy Spinach & Kale, sounds good!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kale chips are so easy to make, I can't imagine buying them. They're excellent on sandwiches! Also on salads. I always make too much so have found ways to use them other than snacking.
    Count your blessings!

I was given a bag of kale the other day and I don't care for it. I cooked it like I would spinach or any other green leafy vegetable but it was to strong for me.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Kale is better if you cook it IN something. I do it in white wine and garlic and it's wonderful. Just tear it into little pieces and pop it in the skillet on low heat and let it absorb the flavors and get soft (although it never just turns to mush like spinach). I like it with sweet potatoes and mushrooms over quinoa. It's one of those things, IMO, that doesn't lend itself to cooking on its own like spinach...unless you really like that strong flavor.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I like mustard greens. They're very tasty, but mild. I think the taste is somewhat similar to spinach. I think they taste best when simmered in water. Nothing has to be added to the greens to make a flavorful broth. Mustard greens contain folates, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc, carotene, crypto-xanthin, and lutein-zeaxanthin.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Interestingly, I don't think that mustard greens taste anything like spinach. For me, mustard greens have a slightly bitter taste that I do enjoy, and they are a little tough. Spinach has that mild taste that I love. I was one of those rare kids who loved fresh or frozen spinach. I figured that the others must have been getting that nasty canned spinach. Yuck!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have always loved all spinach - even the canned spinach they served in our school lunches... until somebody called it "horse snot" and then I never could eat it again. But I love fresh spinach in salads or steamed. I wash and tear my kale, steam it for just a few minutes and then keep it in a plastic bag in the fridge to use as a salad ingredient. I've always meant to try the "massage" method where you put a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt on and then massage it. Has anyone tried that?
    Count your blessings!

One of the things I like about kale is its strong, definitely-not-wimpy flavor.
    We've done the massaged-kale salads: love it! It's a great way to soften the texture without weakening the flavor nor losing essential nutrients. It also serves to integrate the flavors of the other ingredients.
    Last edited by Ellen; 04-15-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread