+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree399Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I almost always substitute Greek yogurt for mayo. Yes, there is a taste difference, but since it's a choice I've made for a while now, I prefer it. It's cleaner, and if you've weaned yourself off sugar, or are trying to... it's not as "greasy" and sweet.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I want some garlic potato chips. Haven't seen them in years.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I almost always substitute Greek yogurt for mayo. Yes, there is a taste difference, but since it's a choice I've made for a while now, I prefer it. It's cleaner, and if you've weaned yourself off sugar, or are trying to... it's not as "greasy" and sweet.
    Thanks for your input, gutmutter. The recipe calls for 2 tsp, I think, of honey, so I guess it will have a bit of sweetness. It called for 2/3 cup of low-fat yogurt but I bought the plain, Greek yogurt. It also has celery, walnuts, apples, and raisins, besides the wheat berries, so I guess it will be sweet enough with the yogurt.
    inthegarden likes this.

Yum! Sounds a little like Waldorf salad.
    Count your blessings!

I've been eating a lot of salads lately, so I just buy the big plastic tub of mixed salad greens and add whatever else I have on hand. I usually get the mix at CostCo, but I happened to be at the grocery store, so I picked up some there. This is the oddest salad mix ever. It's got the usual baby greens and spinach - the greens you normally find in one of these mixes - but it also has dill and cilantro. I'm not sure I like it because those two herbs stand out so strongly. It's not horrible, but I probably won't get it again.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've been eating a lot of salads lately, so I just buy the big plastic tub of mixed salad greens and add whatever else I have on hand. I usually get the mix at CostCo, but I happened to be at the grocery store, so I picked up some there. This is the oddest salad mix ever. It's got the usual baby greens and spinach - the greens you normally find in one of these mixes - but it also has dill and cilantro. I'm not sure I like it because those two herbs stand out so strongly. It's not horrible, but I probably won't get it again.
    Not to mention, dill and cilantro is a kind of weird combination.

We buy the organic spring mix for the bearded dragon (lizard), and he doesn't seem to mind if I eat some ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Not to mention, dill and cilantro is a kind of weird combination.

We buy the organic spring mix for the bearded dragon (lizard), and he doesn't seem to mind if I eat some ;-)
    I thought so..... and I'm usually up for anything unusual where salad mixes are concerned. I actually avoid the iceberg/romaine mixes because they don't have enough flavor(s) for me. This mix was a grocery store organic brand. I'm going to CostCo next time!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love Costco's sweet kale salad(comes with pumpkin seeds, craisins and poppy seed dressing) I bought their super salad green bagged mix it has baby kale, spinach and chard. It is nice, too as long as you don't mind the bitterness.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I love Costco's sweet kale salad(comes with pumpkin seeds, craisins and poppy seed dressing) I bought their super salad green bagged mix it has baby kale, spinach and chard. It is nice, too as long as you don't mind the bitterness.
    Now that sounds good!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm curious about how adventurous any of you are when it comes to grains. Dr. Oz recently recommended 4 ancient grains: millet, kamut, buckwheat groats, and teff. I like to try new things and I try to eat healthy food, so I got them all off of amazon. I haven't looked to see if I can get them locally, but some of them were Red Mill, which we have at 2 stores in our small town. Millet cooked up like farina or something similar. Kamut had to be soaked first and then cooked 45 min. It was a lot like brown rice or wheat berries... hearty, pops in your mouth when you bite it. Buckwheat groats cook up in 10 min. and are the texture of pearled barley (I only eat hulled now, but I used to eat pearled before I knew better). I haven't tried the teff yet, but it is a tiny, tiny seed. Buckwheat, by the way, is not a wheat at all. Like most grains, they all were pretty neutral in taste. I could see cooking them in coconut milk and serving with fruit, or cooking in savory broth and serve under veggies or curry. Buckwheat, especially, is supposed to be good at reducing cholesterol.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread