+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

I'm with you!!! You've got to learn to pick your battles or sit around carping about why you have to do everything!
    TripleGemini and inthegarden like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I asked my friend who joined the Peace Corps and was sent to the Middle East what he usually ate for breakfast....the MOST important meal of the day....he said This morning I had bread, cheese, olives and tea. Normally, I also have a boiled (or scrambled egg), hummus and a half of tomato (they are still in season here).

I'm sure it's a matter of acquired taste. I'm not sure I'd survive! Those things just don't seem to go together, in my tastebud mind.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I asked my friend who joined the Peace Corps and was sent to the Middle East what he usually ate for breakfast....the MOST important meal of the day....he said This morning I had bread, cheese, olives and tea. Normally, I also have a boiled (or scrambled egg), hummus and a half of tomato (they are still in season here).

I'm sure it's a matter of acquired taste. I'm not sure I'd survive! Those things just don't seem to go together, in my tastebud mind.
    It probably is an acquired taste -- but very healthy. Over the past several years, I've gained a liking and appreciation for Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/North African dishes. That sounds like a frequent brunch/lunch/small-plates dinner in our home.
    (When possible, though, I add harissa -- thanks to my Tunisian clients/friends for getting me hooked on that yummy stuff!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post

That sounds like a great breakfast to me! Pancakes or waffles is like a punishment. Those giant concoctions at IHOP practically make my stomach turn.
    Ellen and Rattus like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I like the things individually, but I don't think they'd do as my meal. I am anti sweet junk for my meal. Can't remember the last time I've had pancakes or waffles. I'm also not a fan of tomatoes as a main part of my meal; they can be cooked in something else, though. Too many tomatoes make me itch under my skin, where it can't be scratched!

He also sent me a picture from where he gets his freshly baked bread....everyday???.....he said that when it comes out of the oven, the guy tosses it to another guy who doesn't always catch it. I don't care about bread, much, as it is so this wouldn't help! Here is where I get my bread at most days.

He says:
    "I try to get the ones that don't land on the floor. The guy at the front counter is not very good at catching them as the flats are tossed from the oven. lol

The bread is still steaming when unpack in my kitchen. You have to lay the bread out and let it cool so it will not retain moisture and become soggy."

TRY????? Are you kidding me???? I swear, I'd have to go "Have A Little Talk With Jesus"!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.

I would like his breakfast. When I only cook breakfast for me, I like to spread Greek olive hummus on dark multigrain or wheat bread and top with a poached egg. In the summer I add a slice of fresh tomato. The taste combination is great.

It sounds like a much tastier and healthier meal than your standard North American breakfast.
    Critical likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

OK, so has anyone had the Miracle Berries (I think that's what it's called). It's the stuff that makes "everything" taste sweet. It looks like a powder; they played with it on GMA this morning.) They used it in black coffee, they used it with fresh squeezed lemon juice (said it then tasted like lemonade). They put the powder in their mouth for 30 seconds and then tasted whatever they had, and seemed to be floored at the difference in taste.

Why is everything designed for people with a sweet tooth??? Saw that they also carry it on Amazon, with "good" reviews.

Oh, they're great fun! I got all my kids (and myself) the compressed tablet ones for stocking stuffers and we had a miracle berry party. I put out a big platter of fruit that has a sour element to it... green apples, green grapes, strawberries, black berries, limes, grapefruit sections, orange sections, etc. It works best if you brush your tongue with a wet toothbrush first to clean off the taste buds. Then let the tablets dissolve on your tongue. One time when we did it, we were having beer and it was incredible, too! It's a fun thing to do with family or friends.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I have a question for the foodies/Spanish-speakers:

Have you had Chiles Toreados before? And how do you pronounce that?

I'm going to a Mexican restaurant for supper tomorrow night and saw the chiles toreados on the menu. I looked them up and they sound interesting so I want to try them. I don't want to embarrass myself by pronouncing them wrong when I order them. I assume it would be pronounced like "tore-AH-does". I was looking for a healthy side dish I could have with my meal since I'm dieting.

For those not familiar with them, they're roasted chiles (jalapeno or serrano). Here's a picture:

http://food.sndimg.com/img/recipes/1.../picvKFgPN.jpg

+ Reply to Thread