+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree535Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

  1. #3651
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: General Food Talk

    I haven't had shrimp mold since my mother died, over 20 years ago. I wish I was at your house!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  2. #3652
    Red Sox Nation Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,395

    Re: General Food Talk

    Hubby, who does almost all of the cooking, is red/green color blind. We seldom have roasts but I like them really rare when we do. I realized last night he has never managed to cook one that way, usually saying it was rare when it came out of the oven but then proceeded to well done all on its own before reaching the table.

    I think now perhaps it's his color blindness that's getting in the way. Anyone experience that??

  3. #3653
    FORT Fogey TripleGemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Hubby, who does almost all of the cooking, is red/green color blind. We seldom have roasts but I like them really rare when we do. I realized last night he has never managed to cook one that way, usually saying it was rare when it came out of the oven but then proceeded to well done all on its own before reaching the table.

    I think now perhaps it's his color blindness that's getting in the way. Anyone experience that??
    My husband is also color-blind, but it doesn't really have an effect when he cooks. He relies on thermometers to hit the right temperature. (Although I prefer my roasts medium to falling-apart, so it doesn't really come into play there.)

  4. #3654
    Red Sox Nation Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,395

    Re: General Food Talk

    I think he may have been using a thermometer, but he's insisting the roast was rare when he took it out of the oven but it sure wasn't when I saw it. I'm thinking he can't tell.

  5. #3655
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,210

    Re: General Food Talk

    My hubby is colorblind, too. But neither he nor I cut into a cooking roast (messes up the juices being absorbed back in during the post-oven rest time). We go by touch (how much "squishiness" in the roast or steak) and internal temp.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  6. #3656
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: General Food Talk

    And stop and think about the young, blind genius that just won MasterChef (Christine is her name)....she could cook anything that she had to, like the competition required, and she couldn't even see it! She had to have somebody lead her to the station, and grab her ingredients, but she was the person who had to do every inch of the cooking. Sounds like "somebody" is using his colorblindness as an excuse! Does HE like it "really rare"?

    That woman is amazing....and, here I am, not even thinking about getting into cooking!!! She embarrassed me!! I've got 2 fantastic eyes!!
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  7. #3657
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,210

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    And stop and think about the young, blind genius that just won MasterChef (Christine is her name)....she could cook anything that she had to, like the competition required, and she couldn't even see it! She had to have somebody lead her to the station, and grab her ingredients, but she was the person who had to do every inch of the cooking. Sounds like "somebody" is using his colorblindness as an excuse! Does HE like it "really rare"?

    That woman is amazing....and, here I am, not even thinking about getting into cooking!!! She embarrassed me!! I've got 2 fantastic eyes!!
    She was/is amazing and inspiring.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  8. #3658
    FORT Fogey TripleGemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I think he may have been using a thermometer, but he's insisting the roast was rare when he took it out of the oven but it sure wasn't when I saw it. I'm thinking he can't tell.
    There are several types of colorblindness, so I can't say for sure. But my husband can tell what color meat is.

    Meat will cook a bit while it rests, but I don't think it can go from rare to well. (I let the prime rib rest for an hour on Christmas while I finished the other stuff, and it went from rare to medium rare.) (Oh, and after it rested, I put it back in the oven for 10 minutes at 500F to create the crusty outside. So it was reasonably warm when we ate it.)

  9. #3659
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: General Food Talk

    If there was something that I really liked, and the "cook" kept doing it wrong, I'm pretty sure I'd be cooking it my damn self!!
    Ellen and TripleGemini like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  10. #3660
    FORT Fogey TripleGemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Posts
    2,189

    Re: General Food Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    If there was something that I really liked, and the "cook" kept doing it wrong, I'm pretty sure I'd be cooking it my damn self!!
    Which is why I do most of the cooking :-)

    (But I decided long ago that I don't care how my clothes are folded, and so I very nicely got out of doing laundry most weeks :-) )

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.