+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

I totally understand!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Is riesling wine sweet?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Is riesling wine sweet?
    Some Rieslings are sweet, some "semi-dry" (kind of sweet), and some are dry. It depends on alcohol content and residual sugar. Read the label and, if in doubt, ask the "go-to" person in the wine department.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We had our Secret Santa Christmas party after school on Thursday. There is a sign up for the pot luck - I'm expected to bring both white and dark chocolate rum balls - but I checked that there would be things I could eat. One person signed up to bring a veggie platter and another a fruit salad. Both decided to bring sweets instead. There was nothing there I could eat. I would have brought something for myself if I had known. Bah humbug. Next year nobody's getting rumballs. I'll bring something I can eat.
    Count your blessings!

I've never experienced rum balls.....now, bourbon balls are a totally different matter, though! I love bourbon balls, but you will not catch me drinking gross bourbon! I've yet to understand how people do that.

I had the coolest experience a few weeks ago and I meant to post here and tell you guys about it, but I kept forgetting. A while back, I went out to dinner with a friend of mine to a restaurant that she wanted me to try - Noodles and Company. Because she kept raving about it, I ordered the Truffle Mac, which is mac and cheese with truffle oil and bread crumbs. It wasn't exactly what I expected - good but not great. I didn't expect to go back, but I still put my business card in the "fish bowl" with the sign that said something about winning free food. I was thinking the winner would get a free bowl of pasta.

Well, cut to a few weeks later when I get a call telling me that I won a tasting at the restaurant for up to 7 people! So, I went with my family (who were in town for the holiday) and a very close friend and for 2+ hours they brought us dish after dish to try. I think, all in all, it was 2 salads, one soup, a huge plate of cookies and Rice Krispies treats (they make them fresh) and at least 8 or 9 pasta dishes. It was everything from beef stroganoff to Japanese pan fried udon noodles to rice noodles in peanut sauce to cavatappi with pesto with fresh tomatoes and mushrooms...so many that I can't remember them all AND so many that we couldn't begin to eat it all. I think we brought home at least 7 take-out containers! I think there were only 1 or 2 things I probably wouldn't order in the future.

It was SO much fun and the food was really good. I mean, how often do you get a chance to try that many different dishes on a restaurant's menu, much less do it for free? The only bummer was that the girl who spent most of the time serving us couldn't take a tip! She spent at least 2 hours waiting on us - bringing things out every 15-20 minutes or so - but she wasn't allowed to take a tip. All we could do is email the company and tell them what a great job she did.

If you happen to have a Noodles and Company in your area, I definitely recommend it. If I had just based my opinion on that one dish - which I actually ended up liking it the second time I had it - I would have missed out. Now my mom is bummed because one hasn't opened in my hometown yet!

Oh, and I totally wasn't paid to post this ....although if they paid me in more pasta, I'd totally take it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I had the coolest experience a few weeks ago and I meant to post here and tell you guys about it, but I kept forgetting. A while back, I went out to dinner with a friend of mine to a restaurant that she wanted me to try - Noodles and Company. Because she kept raving about it, I ordered the Truffle Mac, which is mac and cheese with truffle oil and bread crumbs. It wasn't exactly what I expected - good but not great. I didn't expect to go back, but I still put my business card in the "fish bowl" with the sign that said something about winning free food. I was thinking the winner would get a free bowl of pasta.

Well, cut to a few weeks later when I get a call telling me that I won a tasting at the restaurant for up to 7 people! So, I went with my family (who were in town for the holiday) and a very close friend and for 2+ hours they brought us dish after dish to try. I think, all in all, it was 2 salads, one soup, a huge plate of cookies and Rice Krispies treats (they make them fresh) and at least 8 or 9 pasta dishes. It was everything from beef stroganoff to Japanese pan fried udon noodles to rice noodles in peanut sauce to cavatappi with pesto with fresh tomatoes and mushrooms...so many that I can't remember them all AND so many that we couldn't begin to eat it all. I think we brought home at least 7 take-out containers! I think there were only 1 or 2 things I probably wouldn't order in the future.

It was SO much fun and the food was really good. I mean, how often do you get a chance to try that many different dishes on a restaurant's menu, much less do it for free? The only bummer was that the girl who spent most of the time serving us couldn't take a tip! She spent at least 2 hours waiting on us - bringing things out every 15-20 minutes or so - but she wasn't allowed to take a tip. All we could do is email the company and tell them what a great job she did.

If you happen to have a Noodles and Company in your area, I definitely recommend it. If I had just based my opinion on that one dish - which I actually ended up liking it the second time I had it - I would have missed out. Now my mom is bummed because one hasn't opened in my hometown yet!

Oh, and I totally wasn't paid to post this ....although if they paid me in more pasta, I'd totally take it!
    We have several Noodles & Co chain franchises here. For fast food, they're not bad. Definitely better than McDonald's, or even Chipotle.

General Food Talk

I don't know that I'd consider Noodles and Company to be fast food. IMO, it's at least a step or two up from that. Real plates and silverware and a higher grade of food than anything I'd call fast food.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't know that I'd consider Noodles and Company to be fast food. IMO, it's at least a step or two up from that. Real plates and silverware and a higher grade of food than anything I'd call fast food.
    I see your point. Fast-ish? Food court, but definitely above the "traditional" fast food joints.

+ Reply to Thread