+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree538Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Does anyone put oregano in their chili? If so, what do you think about the taste? I'm making chili tomorrow, and the recipe calls for 1 tsp. of oregano leaves. Nothing like an adventure, I guess, but I thought it might be prudent to ask.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've never used oregano in my chili before. I do like cumin in mine, though.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Does anyone put oregano in their chili? If so, what do you think about the taste? I'm making chili tomorrow, and the recipe calls for 1 tsp. of oregano leaves. Nothing like an adventure, I guess, but I thought it might be prudent to ask.
    I've never used oregano in my chili...but maybe they mean "Mexican Oregano"? (See The herbs of Mexico - Mexican oregano - Mexican Food.) In my mind, (regular) oregano doesn't match the flavor profile for chili, but I'd have to try it. Maybe start with 1/2 tsp first and see what you think before adding the rest?

I never thought that oregano sounded like it should go in chili, but I've seen multiple recipes that have it in it. I would think that if they wanted you to put Mexican oregano in it, it would specify that. I've never even heard of Mexican oregano.

Good idea about the half teaspoon.

angelic, this recipe calls for oregano AND cumin
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

For you tea drinkers....do you leave the tea bag in the cup, or let it steep and then remove it? Of course, I am not addressing the people who use loose leaves. I am a steep and remove person.
    If you leave the bag in, it makes the tea bitter. I think most people use water that's too hot and leave the tea bag in too long.

I like Mexican Oregano in my chili.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

With green tea, prhoshay, I leave the bag in the cup after steeping. I figure all the more little bits of oxidants from that tea bag I can get, the better.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

The only oregano I have on hand is the generic stuff, so I guess I'll use that instead of buying something that I may have very little use for. Today is finally the chili day. Somebody, just yesterday, told me that she thought that oregano imparted a sweet taste to the chili. I'm not big on "sweet", so I'll only use the half-amount, for sure.

About the tea question, I've noticed that a lot of people on television shows seem to leave the teabags IN the cups.

Should You Leave Your Tea Bag in or Take it Out?
    Sep 10, 2011 | By Steve Hamilton

Questions over the proper way to brew tea can fuel contentious debate. Tea bags or loose-leaf, there is no shortage of arguments and adamant supporters on both sides. When it comes to whether a tea bag should be left in the cup or removed while drinking tea, a partial truce can be declared. If scientific evidence isnít sufficient, you can point to proper etiquette.

A Matter of Choice
    If you prefer to use a tea bag over loose tea, you have already immersed yourself in a raging battle. To a loose-leaf tea drinker you are a philistine, and that's that. You are also in good company. Millions of Americans are paying attention to the antioxidant qualities of tea. Supermarket Guru Phil Lempert reports that tea bag sales in U.S. supermarkets were over $516 million in 2010, with herbal tea bags accounting for nearly $178 million more.

The Chemistry of Tea
    Tea is full of antioxidants in the form of phenolic flavonoids such as catechins, and according to Harvard Womenís Health Watch, the best way to obtain those flavonoids is by drinking freshly brewed tea that has been allowed to steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Although it may seem fussy, there is hard science behind this narrow window of time that tea should be allowed to sit in hot water. In a press release for the Royal Society of Chemistry, Andrew Stapley of Loughborough University states that the polyphenolic compounds known as tannins that give tea its color and flavor require approximately 3 minutes to develop properly. Much over that and tannins of a higher molecular weight can cause a bitter aftertaste.

Let It Steep
    Steeping times vary depending on the type of tea being brewed, as does the water temperature. If possible, follow the instructions on the box of tea. Generally, for oolong and the black tea varieties used in most teabags, boiling water is fine and the tea should steep for 3 to 4 minutes. Green teas are more delicate and should steep for closer to 3 minutes, in water that is just beginning to steam. To prevent bitterness, remove the bag when the allotted time has elapsed.

Etiquette
    The world will not end if your water isn't the right temperature or you don't remove the tea bag on time. If you prefer a slightly astringent quality to your tea, leave the bag in longer. Along with the bitterness comes a darker brew, though, and more tannins that could stain your teeth. However long you leave the bag to steep, according to etiquette expert Peggy Post you should remove it and place it in a saucer before you drink your tea. You shouldn't hurry through a good cup of tea.

Read more: Should You Leave Your Tea Bag In Or Take It Out? | LIVESTRONG.COM
    This site has some good info about steeping temps and times for different types of tea. Yeah, I drink A LOT of tea
    Preparing Tea: TeaSource
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The only oregano I have on hand is the generic stuff, so I guess I'll use that instead of buying something that I may have very little use for. Today is finally the chili day. Somebody, just yesterday, told me that she thought that oregano imparted a sweet taste to the chili. I'm not big on "sweet", so I'll only use the half-amount, for sure.
    I don't like oregano in chilli. For me.... it throws the familiar taste of chilli off. I'll be curious to know what you thought of it.

About the tea question, I've noticed that a lot of people on television shows seem to leave the teabags IN the cups.[/QUOTE]

When I went to Ireland.... thats what I noticed... they left the tea bag in their tea. And... they add milk to it. Certainly different.

I do like milk in my cup of hot tea. A dollop of vanilla ice cream does well, too!

My chili is simmering! Makes the house smell soooo good!

+ Reply to Thread