+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Any time I have fruit I can't eat fast enough I freeze it and use it in smoothies.
    The Garlic Festival is today so I have to have my annual garlic ice cream... after my annual giant veggie garlic burrito. Better make some crockpot veggie soup to eat the rest of the weekend.
    Oh we love that place!! its garlic everywhere. Wonderful.Enjoy the ice cream,
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Our Walmart has great produce. Our farmers markets this year had terrible veggies. I bought 8 peppers and chopped them up and put them in the freezer. I always do that when i have extra produce that is freezable. i try to keep celery, bell peppers and the like in my freezer at all times.
    I buy a big bag of Vadalia onions when they are in season and on sale, chop them up and freeze. When I chop, I chop them fine (minced), coarse, and chunks. I label the freezer bags accordingly and freeze. It cuts out an extra step when I cook.
    I do the same with bell peppers from my garden. I do leave some whole but cored and halved for stuffed peppers.
    I like the convenience and I hate to throw out food.
    nennie likes this.

I love that idea with the Vidalia onions.
    The garlic festival was great. I had my burrito and garlic ice cream, brought home garlic cheese, and found 5 or 6 booths selling natural and naturally dyed roving (carded wool) to feed my new felting obsession.
    I also got lavender sugar and culinary grade lavender.
    Count your blessings!

That sounds like fun! One of these years, hubby and I want to coordinate our vacation time with the garlic festival in Gilroy, and spend part of the time there, part in San Francisco.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I bought a bushel of apples (mixed variety) last week, and I made apple butter on Saturday.

I now have 12 pint and 6 1.5 pint jars of apple butter :-) (And it's oh-my-goodness-yummy on toast.)

I didn't hit the Boston public market on Saturday (because I was busy with apples), so I'll have to hit the Market Basket produce aisle this week. The produce in the one near me has incredible quality, and the prices aren't bad.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am blown away by how many people seem just so "prairie-oriented"! I was just not born with that gene!! Sounds delish!
    I'm here likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I forgot I was going to make apple butter this year and I just cooked up the last of my apples in applesauce. I'll have to go apple picking again with my Little Sister this weekend.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

pikachu, I made tuna salad this evening, and I thought about you. I always think about how little you like in your salad, and how MUCH I like in mine. Mine's all big and fluffy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Mine might be big and fluffy, too. Just fluffy with mayonnaise!

The one thing I have put in tuna salad while I'm dieting is little bits of celery. I prefer the taste and texture without it but it's a good way to sneak in vegetables and make it look like I'm getting more to eat than I am.

BTW, I'm probably going to have tuna and macaroni tonight. I haven't decided if I'm going to mix the tuna into the macaroni and cheese or just have the tuna separate. I really want a hamburger and french fries but I'm trying hard to eat at home and eat more healthy. I might treat myself to McDonalds or Wendy's later in the week if I can be good until then.

I love celery bits in tuna, egg, macaroni, etc. salads.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread