+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree375Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    Lemons I have no problem with...

Do you peel your cucumbers? I did not...
    No,I left the peel on & just cut it into slices.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    This might sound really stupid but how do you make cucumber water? I have made some before... but the flavor wasn't strong enough. How long do you keep the cucumbers soaking?
    I halfway peel a half of a cucumber lengthwise (in stripes, using either a paring knife or veggie peeler). I save the other half for the next batch. Thinly slice, and toss in a 2-liter pitcher. Pick a couple sprigs of mint from the plant on my balcony. "Spank," and toss in the pitcher. If I have a lemon or lime on hand, cut a few thin slices and toss in pitcher. Fill with water. Let sit in fridge at least two hours, but preferably overnight.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

One of our local supermarkets was having a sale on green bell peppers, 2/.89 and avocados .59 a piece and off to walmart I went to price match. I am going to make some guacamole tomorrow and dice the peppers up and put in the freezer for later use in dishes.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I started a food board on Pinterest and have been finding the most amazing recipes. Even if I don't follow a recipe, I get great ideas for food combinations. I had roasted red peppers on sprouted grain toast with goat cheese and herbs for supper last night. Want to try pumpkin soup this weekend... cinnamon, chile roasted sweet potatoes, tomato cobbler, kale butter. Let me know if any of those sound good to you and I'll post them in the recipe thread.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    One of our local supermarkets was having a sale on green bell peppers, 2/.89 and avocados .59 a piece and off to walmart I went to price match. I am going to make some guacamole tomorrow and dice the peppers up and put in the freezer for later use in dishes.
    Both Safeway & Walmart have frozen sliced green/red/yellow bell peppers in bags in the frozen section. I've started buying them & always keeping some in the freezer. It's really handy & the tri-color makes the dish you make look really nice.
    I've found that every time I buy even 1 pepper I end up throwing half of it away. They just don't last all that long. I've even tried putting them in Debbie Meyer Green Bags. Still go bad way too quickly.
    Frozen solves that problem. You can pop a little or a lot in anything you want then.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Those Debbie Meyer Green Bags are a joke and a waste of money. I like the idea of the frozen peppers.

I've seldom/never seen a fresh veggie at Walmart that is worth purchasing. They all look tired and "broke down".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I halfway peel a half of a cucumber lengthwise (in stripes, using either a paring knife or veggie peeler). I save the other half for the next batch. Thinly slice, and toss in a 2-liter pitcher. Pick a couple sprigs of mint from the plant on my balcony. "Spank," and toss in the pitcher. If I have a lemon or lime on hand, cut a few thin slices and toss in pitcher. Fill with water. Let sit in fridge at least two hours, but preferably overnight.
    All of a sudden I'm sooooooooooooo thirsty.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I started a food board on Pinterest and have been finding the most amazing recipes. Even if I don't follow a recipe, I get great ideas for food combinations. I had roasted red peppers on sprouted grain toast with goat cheese and herbs for supper last night. Want to try pumpkin soup this weekend... cinnamon, chile roasted sweet potatoes, tomato cobbler, kale butter. Let me know if any of those sound good to you and I'll post them in the recipe thread.
    If you ask me... it all sounds good. Never had pumpkin soup before.... chile roasted sweet potatoes sound really good! And um... yum about the roasted red peppers on sprouted grain toast with goat cheese and herbs!!!!!! I am getting hungry now!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Those Debbie Meyer Green Bags are a joke and a waste of money. I like the idea of the frozen peppers.

I've seldom/never seen a fresh veggie at Walmart that is worth purchasing. They all look tired and "broke down".
    Walmart in my area doesn't carry any veggies. Very small produce section.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well, they shouldn't because they don't get quality stuff!

There are only certain things I buy at Walmart, and then I'm off to Kroger or some similar place. Walmart's prices beat most people, but you've got to know what you're looking for.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread