+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree382Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

My aunt makes homemade jams and we get them for Christmas. I try to ration it, but her jams are so good that I usually cave and eat it all by about February!

We've got a local vendor who makes the most amazing jams and jellies. My favorite is probably their peach spice jam. YUM!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Please explain "Nummy".
    I'm such a mom! I thought everyone used that word. Maybe just us. A cross between "yummy" and the "num, num, num" baby talk used with an eating motion to indicate how "nummy" something is. Now you have me wondering if anyone else uses that word.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm such a mom! I thought everyone used that word. Maybe just us. A cross between "yummy" and the "num, num, num" baby talk used with an eating motion to indicate how "nummy" something is. Now you have me wondering if anyone else uses that word.
    We have used it .I knew it was yummy and num num .I say it to my youngest grandchild when she won't eat. It doesn't always work.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I'm so jealous...of all the things I can make, jams aren't one of them. (And I love homemade jams! A friend of mine in San Diego makes a lot of jams and sends them to me...I send her pesto and apple butter in return :-).)
    My sister and I trade out too. She makes the best fig preserves and pear honey.
    I take her frozen veggies.

I made a lot of jellies this summer and had a lot of blackberries to go in the freezer. I made picante sauce to. I also have lots of peaches in the freezer so the peach spice jam sounds great .
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    ...A friend of mine in San Diego makes a lot of jams and sends them to me...
    She's not "Jackie's Jams" at the Farmers' Markets and SOL (Seasonal-Organic-Local) Market, is she?
    Because those jams are phenomenal!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    She's not "Jackie's Jams" at the Farmers' Markets and SOL (Seasonal-Organic-Local) Market, is she?
    Because those jams are phenomenal!
    No...although she has talked about renting a commercial kitchen at some point :-) (We actually work really well together, but unfortunately that's only a couple of times a year because we live on opposite coasts.)

She's coming for a visit in October (she's donating a kidney so that I can move to the top of the list...we have incompatible blood types so she can't donate directly to me, so she meets with the transplant team in October to get her final approval), and she's already sent me a list of the things she's bringing :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I love cucumber water, may favourite spa always has this.

I also love lemons sliced and put in a big jug.
    This might sound really stupid but how do you make cucumber water? I have made some before... but the flavor wasn't strong enough. How long do you keep the cucumbers soaking?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    This might sound really stupid but how do you make cucumber water? I have made some before... but the flavor wasn't strong enough. How long do you keep the cucumbers soaking?
    I just cut them up and throw em in th water. Lemons or Cukes, it doesn't take long for the water to take on the flavour.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I just cut them up and throw em in th water. Lemons or Cukes, it doesn't take long for the water to take on the flavour.
    Lemons I have no problem with...

Do you peel your cucumbers? I did not...

+ Reply to Thread