+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've never had it over rice, but it sounds interesting.
    It is really yummy. Growing up I could never figure out why everyone ate chili in a bowl when I ate it on a plate over rice. And I love to eat in in a bowl, put cheese on it and mix it all together.... oh yum...
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

There is nothing any better than a bowl of spaghetti with chili and beans over the top. We call it 3 way chili here or you can add cheese and have 4 way or onions and have 5 way. I opt for 3 way. I love pasta and I like to get a bowl and add butter and eat it that way. Chili is good over rice to like someone said.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    There is nothing any better than a bowl of spaghetti with chili and beans over the top. We call it 3 way chili here or you can add cheese and have 4 way or onions and have 5 way. I opt for 3 way. I love pasta and I like to get a bowl and add butter and eat it that way. Chili is good over rice to like someone said.
    I also like it over spaghetti, but I think my mom, being Hispanic, went the rice route.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Argh! You guys are making me hungry! I only have dried beans in the house, so I don't have time to make chili for dinner, darnit!

We always did Spanish Rice.....which honestly wasn't all that Spanish. I think my mom got the recipe from Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens, so it's more like a Mid-western version of Spanish. It was ground beef or turkey, canned tomatoes, a splash of yellow mustard (I know, but it works) and white rice. We always had it with shredded cheese. Shredded cheese generally makes everything better! When I'm feeling homesick or in need of some comfort food, it always does the trick!

I just made spaghetti with tomato sauce last night that was SO good. I had some ground turkey and browned that up with onion, but I literally have no veggies in the house that would work with red sauce. I grabbed a jar of pesto and stirred a few tablespoons of it into the sauce and WOW! It added just the right flavor. I usually add more veggies and lean chicken (vs. ground meat) when I have pasta and red sauce, but this was kind of a "I do NOT want to go to the grocery store and this is all I have in the house" situation. I'm definitely going to remember the pesto the next time I make this.

Has anyone tried those fancy teas from Lipton? The ones in the cloth triangle bags? Can't remember what they call them. Anyway, I've tried the caramel one and loved it, but I just bought the tropical mango and peach one and it makes the BEST iced tea. I have an Ice Tea Pot and drink iced tea pretty much all year round. I usually just use Lipton black, but I sometimes add a few bags of a flavored tea (it's 4 bags of Lipton and 2 of another tea for 3 quarts). I ran out of the tea I usually add, so I grabbed a few bags of this tropical tea. It's really good....and only $1.98 at Walmart. I love a great deal!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have the 'Bedtime Story' flavor of the Lipton triangle-shaped mesh tea bags. It is a spearmint/chamomile blend. Chamomile is known for it's calming effects, and what's best is it really tastes good.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I have the 'Bedtime Story' flavor of the Lipton triangle-shaped mesh tea bags. It is a spearmint/chamomile blend. Chamomile is known for it's calming effects, and what's best is it really tastes good.
    angelic.......I will have to try that. I haven't seen these before.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

On The Doctors, the other day, they were doing some trivia and they gave 3 things that could help you get a good night's sleep. One was a glass of wine, one was a cup of chamomile tea, and the third (I think) was cherry juice. The answer was the cherry juice....yuck....and not the kind with any type of sweetener. They said that, thought it was commonly thought, that chamomile did not aid sleep. I've always heard that it did....all of my life, in fact. I think the calming effect comes from taking time to sit quietly and slowly sipping it. Makes sense to me!

Had my first taste of Italian Sweet Sausage this weekend, and was bowled over by how tasty it was!!! I always wondered about it, and why it was called "Sweet".....still don't know that answer! I'll definitely have a repeat preformance of that savory treat!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 09-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    angelic.......I will have to try that. I haven't seen these before.
    nennie!

They are really tasty, nennie. A very soothing good tea blend.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Had my first taste of Italian Sweet Sausage this weekend, and was bowled over by how tasty it was!!! I always wondered about it, and why it was called "Sweet".....still don't know that answer! I'll definitely have a repeat preformance of that savory treat!
    Sweet sausage doesn't include any hot pepper flakes. (I love sweet sausage...hot sausage is usually too hot for me, but my husband loves it. So I include both when I make sauce, I just cut the links into different shapes so that we can tell what they are.)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The different shapes are a smart idea. I used to have a palate for the hot stuff, but those days seem to be behind me. The sweet is 'fantabulous'!

Thank you for the 'sweet sausage' lesson!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread