+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Looking at my tomatoes that are just not ripening in my yard thinking this year I'm going to have to find a good recipe for fried green tomatoes. Last time I did the online crap shoot and failed.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Do most people cook their spaghetti IN the chili or a separate pot? I always go separate, but am willing to try it differently. My spaghetti is wheat spaghetti.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If the chili is liquidy enough, I'd cook it in the chili. It will absorb some of the liquid and add yummy flavor. Make sure it's good and hot before you add the pasta, though. If you're adding veggies and your chili has beans, I vote for corn. I love the corn/bean combo in anything. If it's not liquidy enough, I'd cook one serving at a time and put the chili on top.
    Count your blessings!

I love, love, love corn in my chili! I've been doing that for years. It is really delicious!

I just might add a little more tomato juice to my chili and throw in the spaghetti. This house smelled soooo good this morning that it was ridiculous!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Do most people cook their spaghetti IN the chili or a separate pot? I always go separate, but am willing to try it differently. My spaghetti is wheat spaghetti.
    Nobody I know cooks spaghetti with chili so I wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Looking at my tomatoes that are just not ripening in my yard thinking this year I'm going to have to find a good recipe for fried green tomatoes. Last time I did the online crap shoot and failed.
    I've had the thick batter on fried green tomatoes and don't care for it. I like a simple crisp batter that is not oil soaked and allows you to taste the tart green tomato. This is the recipe that we like.
    I slice the green tomatoes very thin, 1/8" thick, and let them sit while I mix my dry ingredients. In a bowl, I mix together dry Cornmeal mix and black pepper (or your favorite spices). I add the sliced tomatoes and toss them around until they are coated. The moisture from the tomatoes will make the cornmeal mix stick. In a large 12" skillet , I heat just enough oil to coat the bottom, add the tomatoes and fry until brown and then flip and brown the other side. Drain on paper towels. You might have to add oil for each batch. I use this same mixture for fried okra and squash.

Since I use the " Yep, that looks right method of cooking" These are the approximate measurements I use. For 4 tomatoes about tennis ball or baseball size, I use about 3/4 - 1 cup of cornmeal mix and 1 tsp. of black pepper. The oil is no deeper than 1/4".

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I've had the thick batter on fried green tomatoes and don't care for it. I like a simple crisp batter that is not oil soaked and allows you to taste the tart green tomato. This is the recipe that we like.
    I slice the green tomatoes very thin, 1/8" thick, and let them sit while I mix my dry ingredients. In a bowl, I mix together dry Cornmeal mix and black pepper (or your favorite spices). I add the sliced tomatoes and toss them around until they are coated. The moisture from the tomatoes will make the cornmeal mix stick. In a large 12" skillet , I heat just enough oil to coat the bottom, add the tomatoes and fry until brown and then flip and brown the other side. Drain on paper towels. You might have to add oil for each batch. I use this same mixture for fried okra and squash.

Since I use the " Yep, that looks right method of cooking" These are the approximate measurements I use. For 4 tomatoes about tennis ball or baseball size, I use about 3/4 - 1 cup of cornmeal mix and 1 tsp. of black pepper. The oil is no deeper than 1/4".
    I use the same method of cooking. I was contemplating using my bread crumbs that I don't use for anything and maybe doing an egg wash on them but wasn't fully committed to that idea yet. Last time I tried to make them it failed on such a nasty epic level. But it really looks like this year I'll have to give it another go. I really like the idea of thinner sliced tomatoes though too.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Nobody I know cooks spaghetti with chili so I wouldn't know.
    I eat mine served over rice. Grew up that way and keep cooking it that way. I do like to add corn though.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I've never had it over rice, but it sounds interesting.

Top it with some grated cheese and you've got all four food groups!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread