+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 496 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

Apparantly one time after licking the beaters and the bowl, I told my mom that when I got to be grown up, I was going to make a cake and just eat the batter without baking it and then I could have as much as I wanted and not just the beaters. She used to remind me of that all the time when I did get grown up.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3245811;
    Apparantly one time after licking the beaters and the bowl, I told my mom that when I got to be grown up, I was going to make a cake and just eat the batter without baking it and then I could have as much as I wanted and not just the beaters. She used to remind me of that all the time when I did get grown up.
    Well, did you do it?
    CYA

Ugh - just thinking about eating a whole bowl of cake batter makes my feel a bit sick. Now, cookie dough - that's a whole 'nother thing!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

No Bunny, I never did, but I still think about it when I make a cake.

The cookie dough is NOT safe around here though.

Here's a fun thing to do with cookie dough.

Roll it into balls and dip in melted chocolate. Keep refrigerated, but they make great little bon-bon type snacks. I was given these for Christmas one year by a friend and it was GREAT!!!

It makes me laugh when my family freaks out that I'm eating raw cookie dough. They swear I'm going to get super sick...... I tell them the eggs have been kept at a constant temperature which means they will not make me sick.

MRD what a great idea for cookie dough! I may have to give it a try before I make my mind up to stop eating all sugars.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

We had out of town guests for the weekend and I went to Fresh Market for a few "goodies" as I did NOT have time to bake this week. We got the "Kitchen Sink" cookies. OMG, they are TO DIE FOR! They have everything in them and are fabulous.
    Also their Christmas coffee is great as well. Not too strongly flavored. Just right and very holiday like.

LG.

The main issue with eating raw cookie dough (or raw cake batter) with raw eggs in them isn't that the eggs weren't kept cold enough, it is the risk of salmonella, a bacteria that some chickens have which are inside the eggs. Cooking the eggs thoroughly kills the bacteria, but eating them rare or undercooked (my mom always made "soft boiled eggs" which I never cared for - ish, runny egg crud) is a risk. Most eggs that you get in a store will not have salmonella, but some do and it only takes one "bad egg" to make someone really sick. It is particularly a risk for the very young, elderly, and folks with other serious health conditions. You can avoid this by cooking with pasturized eggs or other products which have been pasturized (I think Egg-beaters are, not sure).

Disease Listing, Salmonella enteritidis, Generall Information | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I think runny eggs are actually ILLEGAL in New Jersey! We used to make vanilla Eggnogs when we were kids... Egg, milk, vanilla extract in a blender, shake cinnamon on top... (This was in the days before Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink!) We stopped because of the raw egg... I never thought to try Egg Beaters or the like... I haven't had one in about 30 years...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Eggnog....yucko. I'm more of a boiled custard chick, myself.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3246858;
    We had out of town guests for the weekend and I went to Fresh Market for a few "goodies" as I did NOT have time to bake this week. We got the "Kitchen Sink" cookies. OMG, they are TO DIE FOR! They have everything in them and are fabulous.
    Also their Christmas coffee is great as well. Not too strongly flavored. Just right and very holiday like.
    Is that Fresh Market the one that is owned by Walmart? I'm not sure that I know where one is or even WHAT they are. I seldom drink coffee but do occasionally like a good cup. My grand daughter worked at a Starbucks when she was in college and she once gave me a bag of their Christmas blend that was great.

ETA: I have tried to think of the name of a store we went in up in Indiana a while back. It was a big store much like Kmart, Target or Walmart but had a different name. Is that enough information for any of you to know what I'm talking about? I remember that they had some nice looking clothes.
    Last edited by Muduh; 12-07-2008 at 06:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread