+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Well, now.....whomever would have thought that mint leaves had a "kinky/naughty side"?
    Somehow, in my home, that's a recurring theme. I don't know why.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Saw Paula Deen today on GMA, she was cooking pork butt in the slow cooker (sounded like my kind of recipe!). Ellen, I thought about you when she said "and then you fork it!" I chuckled out loud!

I'm making chili today (I think), and I've decided to try another additive; I'm looking for a flavor that I want but never get. Today, I am adding tomato juice, along with the paste or sauce (whichever one I have). I know that people use tomato juice, so can anybody tell me about tomato juice in chili. I am aware that it will make the chili thinner than my usual no-juice, so I'm prepared to work with that.

Any help out there? I just love my FoRTfamily!
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've never heard of tomato juice in chili so I'm afraid I can't help with that.

I love that expression-- "fork it". I might try using that on forums where you're not allowed to swear (like here!).
    Ellen likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

I'm making chili today (I think), and I've decided to try another additive; I'm looking for a flavor that I want but never get. Today, I am adding tomato juice, along with the paste or sauce (whichever one I have). I know that people use tomato juice, so can anybody tell me about tomato juice in chili. I am aware that it will make the chili thinner than my usual no-juice, so I'm prepared to work with that.

Any help out there? I just love my FoRTfamily!
    What flavor are you looking for? Tomato?

I wouldn't use tomato juice because it would be more like chili soup (which is good, too). But I don't use paste or sauce in mine...I use a combination of tomatoes (typically a can of crushed and a can of diced).

I have no idea....I just know that I'll know it when I taste it. I already do the tomatoes.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If all you have is tomato juice, cook it liquidy for as long as you want the flavors to meld and then add some pasta - macaroni noodles or the swirly kind. I LOVE chili with pasta. (And even though I've written it multiple times, a shot of chocolate syrup or cocoa powder will boost the flavor of chili).
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I've never heard of chili soup! Looks like the cooking will take place today. I have never liked chocolate in chili...isn't that what Skyline Chili puts in theirs? I very, very rarely buy chili out; it never makes me happy.

Chili MUST have spagetti (or at least some kind of pasta), and for me, beans. I think it's so interesting how many different versions of chili are out there. The tomato juice is in addition to tomatoes and tomato paste/sauce.

I've never heard of chili soup! Looks like the cooking will take place today. I have never liked chocolate in chili...isn't that what Skyline Chili puts in theirs? I very, very rarely buy chili out; it never makes me happy.
    I use cocoa in my chili...about 3 tablespoons for what must be a gallon. The end result doesn't taste chocolate-y...the cocoa just enhances the other flavors. (Most people don't even know that I've added it.)

There is just a taste that I can pick up that does not please me. It doesn't taste chocolate-y. Certain blends just don't work for me. Like fruit in salad! I'll pass!

My chili is finally simmering, and will be allowed to rest overnight. I've got my fingers crossed I can/will always add stuff tomorrow if I think I need to.

Here's a weird idea... I've got a pulling to add some mixed vegetables to my mix. This may not be the batch, but the thought intrigues me. I luvvvv my veggies!

+ Reply to Thread