+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree454Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

There are some things I like mayo on, a ham sandwich, but we grew up with miracle whip in our house and so that was what we always ate. I can eat it but my husband doesn't like it.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    There are some things I like mayo on, a ham sandwich, but we grew up with miracle whip in our house and so that was what we always ate. I can eat it but my husband doesn't like it.
    I think we usually had Miracle Whip in our home, but I don't like either one the jarred stuff. But a freshly made mayo done right? Different story. But even then, just as a small accent.
    Last edited by Ellen; 08-19-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always wanted to taste somebody's aeoli (sp?). If I'm not mistaken, it is one of those things that you have to make yourself; never seen it in a store. mrd used to speak very favorably of Duke's Mayo; I've never seen that either, but I think it's in Walmart where I seldom am. I usually keep mayo and Miracle Whip on hand, but seem to use Miracle Whip more frequently than mayo.

I don't just not like chicken salad with fruit or nuts in it.....I guess I just don't care for chicken salad at all. It's just so ho-hum to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've always wanted to taste somebody's aeoli (sp?). If I'm not mistaken, it is one of those things that you have to make yourself; never seen it in a store.
    I made an aioli today (first time!) and oh my goodness it is to die for. I had picked up three (steamed) lobsters at the grocery store (soft shells are in season and they're cheap), but because they were already cooling, I decided to make lobster salad with them. And I had seen on Facebook that Chef Geoffrey Zakarian had recently posted a lobster roll recipe...

Of course, I was missing some ingredients, so I had to substitute. I didn't have any Dijon mustard (no clue when we ran out...someone forgot to write it on the board), so I used stoneground mustard instead. I don't have any hot sauce (ever), but I do have some Sazon Liquido. And I didn't have any champagne vinegar, so I used Green Tea vinegar that someone had given me as a gift.

I was eating it by the spoonful. I think I might serve it as the sauce tomorrow when we have swordfish.

(And it wasn't that hard to make. This won't be the last time :-) )

I think we've discussed mayo vs. Miracle Whip in this forum before. Oddly, it's a topic that some people get really passionate about! I think Miracle Whip is maybe something you just have to grow up with. I HAVE to have it on Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches or in egg/chicken/tuna salad or in deviled eggs. I use mayo as well, but there are some times when I only want Miracle Whip.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I also remember the vehement discussions over mayo vs. miracle whip. Kind of funny to me since I don't really notice much difference. I don't use either very much. If I'm making something like cole slaw or chicken salad, I use fat free yogurt, a little sour cream, and a little (olive oil) mayo.
    Count your blessings!

I've always wanted to taste somebody's aeoli (sp?). If I'm not mistaken, it is one of those things that you have to make yourself; never seen it in a store. mrd used to speak very favorably of Duke's Mayo; I've never seen that either, but I think it's in Walmart where I seldom am. I usually keep mayo and Miracle Whip on hand, but seem to use Miracle Whip more frequently than mayo.

I don't just not like chicken salad with fruit or nuts in it.....I guess I just don't care for chicken salad at all. It's just so ho-hum to me.
    My bunch think I am funny because I make chicken salad but I very rarely eat it. I prefer tuna salad. I give the chicken salad to my daughter who loves it. I personally am not much of a chicken eater. I love to cook though and my bunch loves chicken.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My former husband makes really good chicken salad, but his is the only one that I like....guess I'm no longer on that "invite list". He makes killer potato salad, too. He definitely has kitchen skills. Too bad that was ALL he had! He was the chief cook in our home.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think Miracle Whip is maybe something you just have to grow up with.
    I didn't grow up with either and I much prefer Miracle Whip. Mayo is just a bit too heavy and oily for my taste - I much prefer the tanginess of MW. My sister, on the other hand, is all about making her own mayo, but everyone's palate differs. Her spaghetti sauce is all Roma tomatoes, mine is a combo of Roma and Early Girl, the Roma for body, the Early Girl for tanginess. I also finish off every pot of vegetable soup with a couple of handfuls of cherry tomatoes cooked for about five minutes and then squished. This adds, you guessed it, tanginess to the soup.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

never seen it in a store. mrd used to speak very favorably of Duke's Mayo
    I tried Duke's Mayonnaise after seeing commercials for it. I thought it was curious that the commercials made it sound like an old established brand but I had never seen it in my stores until recently. Personally, I didn't like it as much as my regular mayonnaise. The texture of the Duke's was nice and thick but it was too salty for my tastes. I'm not going to buy more once this jar is gone.

+ Reply to Thread