+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Gutmutter, my default Pot Luck contribution is Devilled Eggs, so you've got me pegged. I actually make a darned good DE, with minced onions, chives, parsley & paprika & a touch of horseradish.
    My problem isn't that I'm a bad cook, or that I don't know how, it's that I hate doing it, with the fury of a thousand forest fires. I hate the time, the trouble, the mess & the cleanup. I get 0 pleasure from it & have next to no tolerance for it.

The plating idea is a good one. My problem is that where I live there's no Costco, no Whole Foods, no Trader Joe's, no deli or caterers to buy semi-home made foods. I live in an area with pretty sparse selection. My only choices are local grocery stores like Safeway's, Albertson's, Smith's, IGA, or Walmart Grocery. Even their deli departments are a little meager & basic. I'm sure I can find something decent, though.
    I also like the bakery desert idea. One thing we do have is some decent bakeries.

I've volunteered to bring beverages, & other non-cooking items in the past, but sometimes like this last one, there's really no person to contact. No contact phone # was given. Just a group invite from the organization to show up with stuff.

You're probably right that there's a lot more plating going on than I realize.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Devilled eggs (eggs, mayo, mustard) always go fast, because face it - who is going to make that for themselves?
    I make deviled eggs for myself. You don't have to make a dozen at a time. I usually hard-boil about 4 eggs and use 2 of them to make deviled eggs to eat right then and have the other eggs the next day, either whole or made into egg salad.

I hate having deviled eggs at parties unless they're made by someone I know who uses the same recipe I do. I don't like having relish in deviled eggs, too much paprika, onion, etc. I always do the simple mayo/mustard combination. There's a lady in our group who always make deviled eggs for our parties (several dozens!) and she uses relish so I don't eat her eggs and I can't very well bring more since that would be too many deviled eggs for the party. I wouldn't ask her to change her recipe, though, because that would be rude. I have thought about bringing a small container of my own deviled eggs so I can enjoy them at the party while everyone else eats hers.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Gutmutter, my default Pot Luck contribution is Devilled Eggs, so you've got me pegged. I actually make a darned good DE, with minced onions, chives, parsley & paprika & a touch of horseradish.
    My problem isn't that I'm a bad cook, or that I don't know how, it's that I hate doing it, with the fury of a thousand forest fires. I hate the time, the trouble, the mess & the cleanup. I get 0 pleasure from it & have next to no tolerance for it.

The plating idea is a good one. My problem is that where I live there's no Costco, no Whole Foods, no Trader Joe's, no deli or caterers to buy semi-home made foods. I live in an area with pretty sparse selection. My only choices are local grocery stores like Safeway's, Albertson's, Smith's, IGA, or Walmart Grocery. Even their deli departments are a little meager & basic. I'm sure I can find something decent, though.
    I also like the bakery desert idea. One thing we do have is some decent bakeries.

I've volunteered to bring beverages, & other non-cooking items in the past, but sometimes like this last one, there's really no person to contact. No contact phone # was given. Just a group invite from the organization to show up with stuff.

You're probably right that there's a lot more plating going on than I realize.
    Miss Scarlet Walmart has a lemon pound cake that is already sliced up that is really moist and good that would plate pretty. You could plate it in a round circle on a pretty plate and maybe put fresh berries in the middle they also have other flavors of pound cake too. Another idea is to buy an angle food cake and get a flavored icing in the can and ice it and make it your own creation.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

pikachu, if I recall correctly, don't you also go very minimal on the tuna salad ingredients?

I really like devilled eggs, but I've never made them. Never had egg salad, either. My dead, ex-sister-in-law-who-hated-me made some killer eggs.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Miss Scarlet Walmart has a lemon pound cake that is already sliced up that is really moist and good that would plate pretty. You could plate it in a round circle on a pretty plate and maybe put fresh berries in the middle they also have other flavors of pound cake too. Another idea is to buy an angle food cake and get a flavored icing in the can and ice it and make it your own creation.
    I use fresh whipped cream on my angel food cake, and decorate with whatever fruit is in season. Its easy and always a big hit
    nennie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I adore a good lemon cake.....especially if it has lemon zest in it.
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    pikachu, if I recall correctly, don't you also go very minimal on the tuna salad ingredients?

I really like devilled eggs, but I've never made them. Never had egg salad, either. My dead, ex-sister-in-law-who-hated-me made some killer eggs.
    You remember correctly! All of the salads like that--chicken salad, tuna salad, ham salad--I prefer just mayonnaise, no relish. A bit of mustard is ok. I do like almonds and/or tarragon in chicken salad.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

And then there's always the dessert with ground up oreos, chocolate pudding mixed with whipped cream from a tub, and plain whipped cream on top. That seems to be popular here. Also, trifle made from layers of angel food cake torn up, tub/can whipped cream, and strawberries.

Happy 100th birthday to Julia Child! Julia Child Remixed | Keep On Cooking | PBS Digital Studios - YouTube
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    You remember correctly! All of the salads like that--chicken salad, tuna salad, ham salad--I prefer just mayonnaise, no relish. A bit of mustard is ok. I do like almonds and/or tarragon in chicken salad.
    My mom used to make a Chinese chicken salad that had sliced almonds in it. Mmm!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I use curry powder and pineapple in my chicken salad. yummy!
    Ellen likes this.

+ Reply to Thread