+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I have lemon balm in my herb garden...I love to use it when cooking fish :-) I'm not big on bitter, though, so I probably won't try many of the others.

Bitter is really good for you, though. I eat a lot of baby arugula and watercress in my salads. I just balance them with other things so they're not overwhelming. My daughter introduced me to a salad with baby arugula, strawberries, and a dressing of balsamic vinegar with just a touch of honey. Something about the bitter/sweet combo really does it for me.
    Thank you for the info, Rattus. I am definitely going to follow through with this. I also have a book about edible wild plants that I keep for emergency reasons. (I'm an on again/off again survivalist worrier ) I'll have to browse through that, too.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I usually don't eat breakfast but for some reason, I have just been hungry all the time lately. I talked myself out of eating something bad last night after I had already had supper and instead had a bowl of cereal to tide me over. This morning I woke up 30 minutes earlier than I usually do so I fixed a fried egg sandwich and had two packets of cheese grits. I hope that keeps me from being as hungry during the day today as I've been the last few days!

I always eat breakfast - sometimes two! I eat toast with nut butter and fruit with my coffee before I work out (usually around 4:30 or 5) and then something else with a whole grain mid-morning. Lunch is usually a big salad or fruit smoothie. Then I snack in the late afternoon. That's where I usually get in trouble.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is that because by the afternoon, you are hungry? Something's, obviously, not going right. Are you hydrating enough? I did read that a lot of times, what we think is hunger can be dehydration.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I usually don't eat breakfast but for some reason, I have just been hungry all the time lately. I talked myself out of eating something bad last night after I had already had supper and instead had a bowl of cereal to tide me over. This morning I woke up 30 minutes earlier than I usually do so I fixed a fried egg sandwich and had two packets of cheese grits. I hope that keeps me from being as hungry during the day today as I've been the last few days!
    You need to keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day. I always start my morning with fibre. I eat fruit during the day as snacks. Breakfast is the best meal for me, if I miss it, my body tells me.That's not to say I don't love a bag of chips , but now at night I snack on popcorn, and I eat a lot of it!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Is that because by the afternoon, you are hungry? Something's, obviously, not going right. Are you hydrating enough? I did read that a lot of times, what we think is hunger can be dehydration.
    That may be part of it. As a teacher, you can't really drink a lot of water, because you can't leave a classroom full of kids to go to the bathroom. I think it's more that I'm tired when I get home, and preparing a salad can be too much trouble. Cutting things up ahead of time lessens the nutritional value, but I suppose that would be better than nuking a frozen dinner or free range snacking.
    Count your blessings!

Evening is when I'm most likely to have my vegetable stew (Furhman inspired) that I made up previously and froze in small chunks.

I work in an office. The only fairly reliable way to keep from hitting the vending machines in the afternoon has been to come to work with nothing less than a $20 bill. We have a small concession stand, but the lady is really nasty if you hand her a $20 for just a candy bar or two, LOL.

I will have to start making food and freezing portions on the weekend when school starts up again. I had thought I'd be able to lose weight this summer with salads and seasonal fruit, but I've been travelling too much with too many "special occasions" to make any progress.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Had that Turkey Asiago freshmarket sandwich yesterday, and it was to DIE for!!! I will definitely do that again.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread