+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Darn! Wish you hadn't let us know you could do that, LOL.
    Sorry about that. I nuked the chocolate on the graham cracker with the marshmallow on top. Next time, I'll just do the marshmallow on the cracker and add the chocolate after. I sort of ended up with chocolate sauce. It was very messy, but very good!

Really, you could toast the marshmallow over the stove and make a s'more without the microwave.

This is why I don't keep this sort of stuff in my house! If it's not here, it never occurs to me to buy it and I don't crave it. If it's here though, look out!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't know if anyone else here has gotten on board with eating weeds, but I'm really enjoying it, it's extremely nutritious, and it's a money saver. In this week's vegetable soup I used pigweed and stinging nettle - mmm mmm good. Next week's soup will incorporate creeping charlie, lemon balm, and dandelion leaves.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Pigweed is good! Dandelion leaves are too bitter for me.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Interesting. I've never heard of eating weeds but after you explained what you meant, why not? It does seem to me that they would be bitter, based on the way they smell, but I wouldn't know since I haven't tried them. I don't even know where you'd buy edible weeds, short of scouting vacant lots for weeds to snip.

You don't buy them, you harvest them from your yard, the park, vacant lots, boulevards, wherever. I agree about the dandelion leaves and only use them very sparingly, though they do make a fairly tasteless tea that is excellent for liver cleansing. If you take medications regularly, it is a really good idea to cleanse your liver the same way you would clean any filter in your house.

And the week after next it will be burdock and chicory in the soup. Weeds are also good in salads or anywhere you would use leafy greens, and obviously anything that you just picked from outside your back door is going to be more nutritious than something that has been in shipping for a week or two.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I'm very interested in this, Rattus. Is there a book or website for edible weed identification? With my luck, I'd probably end up eating poison ivy.
    Count your blessings!

I only became aware of the edibility of weeds because my husband grew up on a farm and they ate their local weeds. I googled "edible weeds in ontario" to expand my knowledge of what is edible locally and got a pretty decent region specific site (actually, specific to southern Ontario), so your best bet is to google for your area since not everything grows everywhere.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My yard is chemically treated each month. I guess that lets me off the hook on that one!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    My yard is chemically treated each month. I guess that lets me off the hook on that one!
    I have a dog who goes in the yard. I think that lets me off the hook too. No way I'm eating THAT.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I have a dog who goes in the yard. I think that lets me off the hook too. No way I'm eating THAT.
    You know what manure is made of, right?

+ Reply to Thread