+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Argh. Once again, I went to bake a cake only to find that my canola oil has gone rancid. This is the second time that's happened. Obviously, I don't use it very often. They need to have even smaller bottles, because this one isn't even half empty. I only have cold-pressed evoo, so it's not going to work. Also, no apple sauce. Alas....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Maybe you should switch to a different type of cooking oil. I found this website with information on canola oil:

Canola Oil Report - The Straight Dope on Canola Oil

Of particular note in your case:

And on the practical side of things, canola isn't that good either. Because of its high sulphur content, it goes rancid easily, and baked goods used with the oil develop molds rather quickly.
    Here's a site with information about choosing heart-healthy oils, with a comparison guide between different oils:

Heart-Healthy Cooking: Oils 101

I only buy canola for baking and I don't bake often. That's why it goes rancid - I use it maybe once a year.

I only cook with olive oil.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

You could bake with a different oil than canola, though. A more shelf-stable oil wouldn't be as likely to go rancid between uses.

Ya know, it would be great if baking oils were sold in smaller packaging sets (like pudding cups or applesauce - or the way they do with Crisco, come to think of it). I'm guessing the oil doesn't deteriorate quickly until it's open?
    Critical likes this.
    remember to play

I've never considered myself a stress eater, but maybe I am. I've been having a terrible week (and yes, it's barely begun) and just found myself making a s'more in the microwave. The chocolate was a little too melty (got to shorten that cook time), but OMG, it was SO good. Haven't had one in SO long! I think I still prefer the marshmallow toasted instead of just heated, but it still hit the spot. Only 2 WW points too!

I had never heard of s'mores until I joined Girl Scouts. My family never made them.

I would definitely consider myself a stress eater. In fact, I'm an all-opportunity eater. I eat to pass time when I'm bored, to celebrate when I'm happy, to soothe myself when I'm sad, etc. I know I need to break that habit if I'm ever going to get healthy. It's just so hard to find other things to fill the needs food does.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Argh. Once again, I went to bake a cake only to find that my canola oil has gone rancid. This is the second time that's happened. Obviously, I don't use it very often. They need to have even smaller bottles, because this one isn't even half empty. I only have cold-pressed evoo, so it's not going to work. Also, no apple sauce. Alas....
    Have you tried keeping it in the fridge. Just take out what you need and let it come to room temp. I keep oil in the fridge all the time especially those big jugs of peanut oil for the turkey fryer.
    inthegarden likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Have you tried keeping it in the fridge. Just take out what you need and let it come to room temp. I keep oil in the fridge all the time especially those big jugs of peanut oil for the turkey fryer.
    I'll probably do that if I buy it again. I honestly don't cook with anything but olive oil and only had this canola because my mom bought it when she visited and the LAST bottle she'd bought had gone bad!

I really have never considered myself a stress eater - I do just really like food. I've had a LOT of stress in the last few weeks, so I just broke last night. Had a slice of cinnamon apple cake I'd bought for a get together with friends (there was some left over - I didn't eat it before our event!) and then later had a s'more. Clearly, if I'm pushed far enough, I use food for comfort!

I went to Tahoe for the weekend with friends and took the fixings for s'mores with me. I didn't open them before the trip because I knew I wouldn't be able to have just one. I can only eat one a day, but knew I'd have one every day until they were all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've been having a terrible week (and yes, it's barely begun) and just found myself making a s'more in the microwave. The chocolate was a little too melty (got to shorten that cook time), but OMG, it was SO good.
    Darn! Wish you hadn't let us know you could do that, LOL.

+ Reply to Thread