+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree452Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    With respect to feeding company, I always go vegetarian. An omnivore is quite capable of eating a meat-free lasagna, and doing it without complaint. Should a vegan show up, there's always vegan-friendly tomato sauce in the freezer, and a box of spelt pasta in the cupboard.

For those who are looking to feed vegetarians in their household, there is a new grain available, though I'm not sure if it's available outside of Canada. It's called cavena nuda, and it's a hundred times more delicious than quinoa. As an avowed meat eater, I am more than happy to forego a steak in favour of a bowl of cavena nuda and greens.
    I love quinoa! In fact I just finished noshing on some. I'll have to see if I can't find this cavena nuda in one of the health food stores. Thanks for the information Rattus!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quinoa is readily available now that it has become so popular. I also like Jerusalem artichoke pasta which tastes way more like regular pasta than whole wheat cardboard does. It has a lot of protein and a favorable glycemic index quotient.
    Count your blessings!

I like Trader Joe's brown rice pasta for gluten-free pasta. It tastes so much like semolina pasta that I really can't tell the difference. Plus, it's much cheaper than many gluten-free pastas.

The quinoa pasta I've had is very good, but expensive and tricky to cook. If you aren't careful, you can end up with a pot full of mush.

I love quinoa too. I do wish the germ ring didn't look like a little worm, but I've learned to ignore that because it's so easy and so healthy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I love quinoa too. I do wish the germ ring didn't look like a little worm, but I've learned to ignore that because it's so easy and so healthy.
    I have to cook up some this week as I like it for breakfast with a touch of honey, almonds and raisins. I also make a recipe that is on the package I buy at Target with olive oil, lime juice, cumin, cilantro, black beans and corn. It is so tasty. I love it even cold.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Ugghhh! Why is it that whenever I go on vacation, I lose weight except for when I go on "vacation" to visit family in Wisconsin? (ummm...cheese...frozen custard...comments like "you're so skinny!" when I'm nowhere near, at least by CA standards) I come home with an extra five pounds and tight jeans?
    Luckily, after being back home for two days, I've lost three of those nasty "souvenirs" two more to go!
    Quinoa (along with fresh local produce and considerably more exercise) is part of my post-Wisconsin detox.
    Last edited by Ellen; 07-21-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    As unbelievable as it is for ME, to some people, chocolate tastes like mud!!

(Not that I know how they knew, unless they ate mud at some point in their life...which I didn't, thank goodness!)

I guess that also explains how some people, absolutely, PREFER the taste of bland foods. That was also one that I never understood.

My son loved Flaming Hot chips, as a 2 year old. He also loved to eat lemon wedges, rind and all....still does. Don't get him, either!

He's never been big on ice cream, though. Strange boy. He always loved yogurt, though.
    I like heat in some dishes, a lot. But I like that heat to hit the back of my throat after I swallow, not burn the inside of my mouth. My husband loves it, though. He'll eat extremely hot peppers raw with a little salt and vinegar, or HORSERADISH.

BTW, Shay, I ate a lot of mud as a kid. It tastes a lot like beets.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Ugghhh! Why is it that whenever I go on vacation, I lose weight — except for when I go on "vacation" to visit family in Wisconsin? (ummm...cheese...frozen custard...comments like "you're so skinny!" when I'm nowhere near, at least by CA standards) I come home with an extra five pounds and tight jeans?
    Luckily, after being back home for two days, I've lost three of those nasty "souvenirs" — two more to go!
    Quinoa (along with fresh local produce — and considerably more exercise) is part of my post-Wisconsin detox.
    I still have about 5 unwanted vacation pounds that never went away! I am a very sensible eater, we went hiking, great exercise, the place we stayed at had a buffet. I tried to make sensible choices, getting salads, grilled chicken, in an area with nothing to eat outside the lodge but McDonalds and the buffet veggie of choice was corn. I steered clear of the mashed potatoes and fried chicken... I couldn't understand why I gained weight! I never could take it off!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Ugghhh! Why is it that whenever I go on vacation, I lose weight except for when I go on "vacation" to visit family in Wisconsin? (ummm...cheese...frozen custard...comments like "you're so skinny!" when I'm nowhere near, at least by CA standards) I come home with an extra five pounds and tight jeans?
    Luckily, after being back home for two days, I've lost three of those nasty "souvenirs" two more to go!
    Quinoa (along with fresh local produce and considerably more exercise) is part of my post-Wisconsin detox.
    I always lose weight on vacation nomatter where I go. After years of people looking at me in disbelief (or distain) when I say this, I finally thought it out & figured out why.
    When at home or at work I eat very healthy meals, but I snack. A little here, a little there. It all adds up. Even when I'm active, I still snack in the evenings.

On vacation, I eat bigger sometimes richer meals, but still try to eat relatively healthy, & if not, watch my portions. But I DON'T SNACK! If I'm staying at a motel/hotel, I don't keep snacks in the room. If I stay at someone's house, I certainly don't raid their cupboards. Plus, on vacation I'm always going somewhere, walking, moving, all the time. Enough to easily work off any excess calories from any rich meals.

I tried to apply this no snack rule to home, but to no avail. Alone at home in the evenings, I snack. Even if I don't keep the really bad stuff in the house, I manage to find something.

Now if I could just stay on vacation all the time.........
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Isn't it interesting how, if you go on Weight Watchers or something similar, you are required to snack (I think) 3 times/day, and it is something that you must do to lose weight? They make you eat so much food that it can be hard to get it all in. Of course, you also have to drink a required amount of water, which can be hard for some people.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Whether at home/work or on vacation, I eat almost constantly. About 5 - 6 times daily. Breakfast is usually oatmeal w/fruit or poached eggs on wheat toast on weekends, yogurt w/ oat bran for lunch, a handful of nuts or another piece of fruit, and whatever we're doing for supper. After suppper, it's cheese and crackers/ peanut butter and crackers, or sherbet. Add in a couple of cocktails or glasses of wine weekly and maybe one dessert. I never gain weight if I do not deviate from this. If I could not snack every day, I would be very very cranky.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread