+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I don't like something so hot, that you cannot taste the food. My hot wings are famous, not too hot - not too cold Just right
    inthegarden likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

The last time my older daughter was home (the pilot, not the chef) she made something so hot I couldn't eat it. She thought it was funny, but I thought it was a waste of good food.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I know everyone's heat levels are different and I agree, I like spicy when I can also enjoy the other flavors of the food.

A friend, gave us mild banana peppers. I stuffed them with my usual rice/veggie stuffing and baked them. When we took the first bite we found that they were not mild by any means , in fact, they were so hot we couldn't eat them. When we asked what type of peppers they were, the friend laughed and asked," Why, were they hot?" He thought it was funny and like you Gutmutter, I thought it was a waste of food. He knows that we don't care for spicy hot food.

When someone gives me peppers and says they are sweet I always taste them before I do anything with them. Those rascally peppers can look the same but one can be hot and the other mild.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm with the rest of you that I enjoy some spice, if it adds flavor to the food, but I don't like things too spicy. My dad and I got chili at a Mexican restaurant once, it burned not just my tongue but all around the outside of my mouth. I couldn't taste anything after a few bites so I didn't even try to finish it. My dad finished his chili but complained the whole time.

I would never care to try food challenges where you have to eat super spicy food. I eat for enjoyment. If a food is so spicy hot it causes physical pain, I don't want to attempt to eat it no matter what the prize is. The same with quantities of food or speed eating. I never like to eat past the point of feeling comfortable just to win some dumb prize or bragging rights. I'd rather take my time and eat just enough to satisfy my hunger without being overstuffed.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I agree. Too much is too much. I like a little kick, but you don't have to try to send me over the mountain with it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Me too. I like my spicy food with a bite to it, but when it's so hot it leaves my mouth burning instead of being able to taste the food, I don't want anything to do with it.
    I don't understand why so many things are billed as "extra spicy" or "flaming hot". I find it hard to believe that there are all that many people who prefer not to taste the food. Not to mention have their mouth hurt.
    Maybe it's diet control.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I've read that our tastebuds determine how foods affect us. Apparently, we all taste things differently; mine seemed to have chaged with the years, thus the lack of tolerance for things that are even mildly hot, anymore. Never thought I'd be a person who asks for mild salsa, but, so it is!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

You're right, 'shay. I remember an exchange student friend of my daughter who complained that there were no really hot foods here and they all tried to come up with the hottest peppers, sauces, etc. they could find and nothing phased him. Taste buds are like fingerprints. Everyone is different. My son doesn't like chocolate. I've always wondered - how can you not like chocolate?
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

As unbelievable as it is for ME, to some people, chocolate tastes like mud!!

(Not that I know how they knew, unless they ate mud at some point in their life...which I didn't, thank goodness!)

I guess that also explains how some people, absolutely, PREFER the taste of bland foods. That was also one that I never understood.

My son loved Flaming Hot chips, as a 2 year old. He also loved to eat lemon wedges, rind and all....still does. Don't get him, either!

He's never been big on ice cream, though. Strange boy. He always loved yogurt, though.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 07-17-2012 at 12:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread