+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I've experienced the other side of the coin, where the person with the restrictive diet is terribly demanding about what is served. My feeling is that, if someone invites you to their home, you behave graciously. Yes, it's very nice if the host tailors the meal to accommodate special diets, but I also think it's nice if the person with the restrictive diet brings a dish as well. Maybe I'm overly aware of putting people out, but if I was the only vegetarian attending a large party, I wouldn't expect the host to make concessions for me. I'd ask if I could bring something or would bring a dish that I could eat.....and that the other guests could try.

Especially in the case of vegetarians, it's pretty easy to eat and not need special dishes. I don't think most people serve all-meat meals. Plus, there are still many people who wouldn't have the first clue about what to fix as a main if it didn't involve meat or whatever else needed to be omitted.

I just know that the people who have been pains about the meal in my circle (complaining about they can't eat this and can't eat that, but then never offer to help with the meal or bring something) don't get invited back.

I guess my feeling is that, if you have a terribly restrictive diet, it's presumptuous to expect a party host to create a menu simply to accommodate your needs....and I know people who DO expect that. I'm talking people who are dairy-free, gluten-free and strict vegetarians. Like I said, most people wouldn't know what to even fix. Gosh, add in garlic and onions and I think most people would just put out a platter of crudites!
    prhoshay, pikachu and TripleGemini like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Gosh, add in garlic and onions and I think most people would just put out a platter of crudites!
    Agreed.
    Lest everyone think my sons are demanding ogres, nothing could be further than the truth. They are pretty good about just eating the standard vegetables, potatoes, noodles, etc. I am not talking run of the mill hosts and hostesses. I am mostly talking about family members. I also have another nephew who is a vegetarian so that makes 3 out of 10 cousins on my husband's side who are vegetarians. My boys never complain but they would never think of bringing something of their own to the table. The youngest still lives at home so he doesn't bring anything on his own. The oldest is 26 and lives on his own but he never brings anything either. I am sure if he is invited to a friend's home he would bring something (because I raised them right), but he would never think to bring something on his own. I just think it's pretty easy if you make something, to omit the onion or garlic. My sister-in-law does it all the time. Or keep some veggie burgers on hand to throw on the grill. Honestly, I am probably just pms'ing about this, because as I said, they never utter any complaints at all. It's just mama bear making sure her skinny sons are well-fed. And that's all I am going to say about the matter lest I bore you all to tears. lol
    inthegarden likes this.

Crazy as this sounds, I had never had fresh raspberries until the other day. I don't know why . Anyway, I'm hooked. I just want to smash them all in my mouth at once.
    I am pitiful. I must have been a berry eating bird (a big healthy one) in a previous life. I picked blueberries and blackberries last week and I picked one... and ate one. I love berry season.

Peg
    FORT Newbie

Speaking of berries, my newest addiction (not fresh though) is Goji berries. They kind of taste like a cross between a raisin and a cranberry, super anti oxidants.

With respect to feeding company, I always go vegetarian. An omnivore is quite capable of eating a meat-free lasagna, and doing it without complaint. Should a vegan show up, there's always vegan-friendly tomato sauce in the freezer, and a box of spelt pasta in the cupboard.

For those who are looking to feed vegetarians in their household, there is a new grain available, though I'm not sure if it's available outside of Canada. It's called cavena nuda, and it's a hundred times more delicious than quinoa. As an avowed meat eater, I am more than happy to forego a steak in favour of a bowl of cavena nuda and greens.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have my stupid allergies and my lack of appreciation for most meats, but I've never dreamt of asking to be accomodated. Actually, I never even thought about it since most people seem to eat the things that I can't eat. I already know, out front, that if you are having a fish fry, I will not be withing 20 miles of the place, so you don't even have to extend an invitation! No offense taken here.

I am sorry if I came off as coming after you, Ecm. I did not mean to. I've just never bent over backward to be a people pleaser. Most of the people I know eat just about anything....I am the exception to everybody else's rule! You just can't imagine the pain I feel when I can't eat banana pudding or banana "anything"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Peg
    FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    With respect to feeding company, I always go vegetarian. An omnivore is quite capable of eating a meat-free lasagna, and doing it without complaint. Should a vegan show up, there's always vegan-friendly tomato sauce in the freezer, and a box of spelt pasta in the cupboard.

For those who are looking to feed vegetarians in their household, there is a new grain available, though I'm not sure if it's available outside of Canada. It's called cavena nuda, and it's a hundred times more delicious than quinoa. As an avowed meat eater, I am more than happy to forego a steak in favour of a bowl of cavena nuda and greens.
    Thank you for the heads up about cavena nuda ! I am all about healthy foods and trying new things so I will certainly look for it !

I am doing the happy dance because, for the first time in, probably, over a year that I've seen fat-free saltines in the grocery store! One day, they just totally disappeared and, now, voila! I don't know what the deal is, but I am happy about it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I usually buy medium heat salsa but the little store I was at today only had mild. I got it and tried it over some Jerusalem Artichoke pasta for lunch instead of spaghetti sauce. Perfect!
    Count your blessings!

The older my stomach gets, the more it seems to prefer milder foods. I used to adore medium and hot things. That actual burn in my gut doesn't seem so charming....and it wasn't there before!

+ Reply to Thread