+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Peg
    FORT Newbie

Re: General Food Talk

Good for your son ! It's very admirable and hopefully you are proud although it must be frustrating for you because you aren't familiar. I find that using spices that perhaps you wouldn't normally think about can really make up for lack of onions and garlic. Particularly those that have heat.
    It just requires a little more thought !

I don't want to live in a world without onions and mushrooms! That's punitive!

I wouldn't know what to cook for him either. I'd think he would have to learn how to cook for himself with that many dietary restrictions or he'd starve. It would definitely make everyone's life easier! I'm sure there are plenty of cookbooks out there with good recipes to get him started.

My cousin went through a period where she was veggie and she always brought a vegetarian dish to Thanksgiving so she'd have something to eat. They were usually very good and the whole family ate it as well. Half of our family is allergic to poultry, so we always have "non-bird" stuffing and lots of veggies too. I always liked that my cousin brought the veggie dish. It gave everyone a chance to try something new and it ensured that she had something she wanted for dinner. Of course, the Tofurkey was a disaster that we all still laugh about. The less said the better...... *shivers*
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Tofurkey - UGH .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Peg
    FORT Newbie

I'm not crazy about the Tofurkey sandwich slices but the Quorn (vegetarian) turkey breast is really good, as is all of their products if you can find them.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My son, if he decided that he needed a really restricted diet, would be cooking for himself. Guys get waaay too used to being catered to when it comes to the kitchen. I think they should either cook for themselves or go to where food preparation is the profession....and that wouldn't be in MY kitchen! We spoil these boys to the nth degree!!

But, for those who choose to play the part of scullery maid.....be my guest!! There is honor in all honest work! Just count me OUT!!!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-30-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I don't know if your post was directed at me, shay, but I plead guilty. In all fairness to my son, though, when he comes home, he doesn't expect me to cook for him. He is capable of making a grilled cheese sandwich by himself, or eating yogurt, or even going out to get a bite to eat. Like I said, I have no idea what he eats on a daily basis or if he even cooks dinner for himself each night after work. He lives and works in the city so there are plenty of take-out options available in his area.

What does bug me, though, is that many hosts will not prepare a vegetarian dish for their non meat-eating guests. I would think you would try to accommodate all of your guests, and not just some. I know it is my son's choice not to eat garlic/onion/mushrooms but what if he were truly allergic? As it is, when he dines out, he does say he is allergic to garlic and onion. I do happen to know a man who is allergic to garlic and he does the same thing. What obligation does a host have? I have one sister-in-law who is great about making sure there is something for my sons to eat at family gatherings but other family members don't bother.
    Ellen and Fanny Mare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    What does bug me, though, is that many hosts will not prepare a vegetarian dish for their non meat-eating guests. I would think you would try to accommodate all of your guests, and not just some. I know it is my son's choice not to eat garlic/onion/mushrooms but what if he were truly allergic? As it is, when he dines out, he does say he is allergic to garlic and onion. I do happen to know a man who is allergic to garlic and he does the same thing. What obligation does a host have? I have one sister-in-law who is great about making sure there is something for my sons to eat at family gatherings but other family members don't bother.
    As hosts, we provide for all diets. We've had "barbecues" that cover low-sodium, low-fat, gluten-free, no-carbs, vegetarian, vegan, and omnivore. It's not really all that hard, but possibly because we're just so used to it now. (I'm low sodium, my son's godmother is no carbs, several friends are vegetarian or vegan, one is low-fat.) Vegan was definitely the hardest...no eggs or milk, which means that we have to get much more creative when it comes to salads. (I make macaroni salad with hard-boiled eggs, tuna, and mayo...all are vegan no-nos :-).)

(As an aside: I showed up for Thanksgiving at my sister's one year. She figured I couldn't eat the turkey, stuffing, and gravy...so she made me a ham. I had to give her credit for trying ;-) )
    Ellen and Eastcoastmom like this.

Peg
    FORT Newbie

Absolutely, as host's one should always consider the needs of their guests. Heck, I plan clear down to the seating, hand soap in the bathroom and have enough drink choices to open a bar ! Non- alcoholic and alcoholic, organic or soda etc... For some reason there is animosity with some people when a person's dietary beliefs doesn't coincide with their own, but I think more and more folks are becoming enlightened.

edited- because i sound like Judith Martin Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Peg View Post
    Absolutely, as host's one should always consider the needs of their guests. Heck, I plan clear down to the seating, hand soap in the bathroom and have enough drink choices to open a bar ! Non- alcoholic and alcoholic, organic or soda etc... For some reason there is animosity with some people when a person's dietary beliefs doesn't coincide with their own, but I think more and more folks are becoming more enlightened.
    Shoot, whenever I invite some for a meal, whether at home or in a restaurant, I always ask about allergies, restricions, preferences, etc. It's just good manners.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I think they should, because your son is their guest. My husband hates for anyone to leave our home feeling unhappy about anything - he's an excellent host

My father in law was on blood thinners, there were many foods he couldn't have. So we always always ask . Unless its a couple we know real well, or our immediate family whose likes and dislike and allergies, we know.
    Ellen and Baby's Breath like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread