+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree485Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I wished you lived closer too. I am going to have a lot go to waste because I can't get them all picked.
    Me, too wish I lived closer.
    I love blackberries, and love fresh-picked!
    It's hard to believe you aren't being trampled with local taker-uppers on your offer.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Me, too — wish I lived closer.
    I love blackberries, and love fresh-picked!
    It's hard to believe you aren't being trampled with local taker-uppers on your offer.
    Everybody wants them but wants me to pick them and that ain't happening. You want them pick like I have to. I got 2 more buckets this evening and that isn't even the beginning.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I love blackberries, but I hate the seeds. Same for raspberries. I will only buy the seedless varieties, knowing full well they are genetically altered. It's a tradeoff. Blackberry seeds are the worst, challenging all my expensive dental work.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

IMO, you can seldom have TOO much garlic in a recipe....and the smell in the kitchen is to die for!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    IMO, you can seldom have TOO much garlic in a recipe....and the smell in the kitchen is to die for!!
    I agree. I dont know how I lived without it. We went to the garlic capital ( Gilroy) , omg I was in heaven
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I agree. I dont know how I lived without it. We went to the garlic capital ( Gilroy) , omg I was in heaven
    Our eldest son, although not a Hindu in faith, follows many of the practices of Hinduism, including a vegetarian diet and prohibition against eating pungent vegetables like onion, garlic, leeks, and any fungi like mushroom. Fortunately, he is an adult who lives on his own b/c if I were still cooking for him at home I would go crazy. As it is, when he comes home to visit I scratch my head trying to prepare a vegetarian entree without any onion or garlic. Plus, as a 3rd generation Italian-American, it goes against everything I was ever taught by my mother about cooking. Any tomato based cooking I do involves both garlic and onion. Any soups I prepare have lots of onion. As much as I love garlic, I think I cook with onion even more. I don't like raw onions but do love the flavor that a cooked onion gives to a dish. There are tons of vegetarian recipes out there, but let me tell you, very few of them don't call for using at least onion. I even have to check labels on cans of tomato sauce b/c often onion is an ingredient. While I like Trader Joe's and they do have a nice selection of vegetarian entrees, I have not found even one that does not contain dehydrated onion/onion flakes. So for now he is served the most bland spaghetti sauce ever made with tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, basil and oregano. Blech!

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Everybody wants them but wants me to pick them and that ain't happening. You want them pick like I have to. I got 2 more buckets this evening and that isn't even the beginning.
    Aww, man they're either crazy or lazy. Picking your own berries makes them taste better.
    Critical and its_glinda_now like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Can you freeze the extra blackberries? That's what I used to do at my last house that had blackberry bushes around the perimeter. I've read that blackberries are the superfood when it comes to antioxidents... more so that blueberries.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Can you freeze the extra blackberries? That's what I used to do at my last house that had blackberry bushes around the perimeter. I've read that blackberries are the superfood when it comes to antioxidents... more so that blueberries.
    Yes you can freeze them. I already have 9 gallons in the freezer besides what I have given away and others have picked. They are great antioxidents. I like eating them off the vine. I will pick awhile and then eat me some.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Our eldest son, although not a Hindu in faith, follows many of the practices of Hinduism, including a vegetarian diet and prohibition against eating pungent vegetables like onion, garlic, leeks, and any fungi like mushroom. Fortunately, he is an adult who lives on his own b/c if I were still cooking for him at home I would go crazy. As it is, when he comes home to visit I scratch my head trying to prepare a vegetarian entree without any onion or garlic. Plus, as a 3rd generation Italian-American, it goes against everything I was ever taught by my mother about cooking. Any tomato based cooking I do involves both garlic and onion. Any soups I prepare have lots of onion. As much as I love garlic, I think I cook with onion even more. I don't like raw onions but do love the flavor that a cooked onion gives to a dish. There are tons of vegetarian recipes out there, but let me tell you, very few of them don't call for using at least onion. I even have to check labels on cans of tomato sauce b/c often onion is an ingredient. While I like Trader Joe's and they do have a nice selection of vegetarian entrees, I have not found even one that does not contain dehydrated onion/onion flakes. So for now he is served the most bland spaghetti sauce ever made with tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, basil and oregano. Blech!
    Oh wow ECM. I cannot imagine your having to cook bland food.. I love garlic and onions , and any food that is Italian!(any food makes me happy ) I think he is missing out on some really great meals! I don't think I would know what to prepare either
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread