+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

I catch a spot, here and there, from Dr. Oz; I really prefer The Doctors; they seem to teach. Teaching is good.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We have had to change our eating habits since my husbands cholesteral is high. It is hard to do. I am now having to read labels to see what it has in it. He is adjusting well to it. He has to have a carotid test, stress test and another one next month and he knows he has to get healthier. His BP has already dropped and ha has lost some weight.

I am having to find creative ways to cook.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    We have had to change our eating habits since my husbands cholesteral is high. It is hard to do. I am now having to read labels to see what it has in it. He is adjusting well to it. He has to have a carotid test, stress test and another one next month and he knows he has to get healthier. His BP has already dropped and ha has lost some weight.

I am having to find creative ways to cook.
    Butter is my frenemy. I can't get past the "lacking" feeling when I try to go without it in recipes.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Try substituting cold-pressed coconut oil in some recipes for butter. It is a friendlier/healthier kind of fat that got a bad rap years ago.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Butter is my frenemy. I can't get past the "lacking" feeling when I try to go without it in recipes.
    Butter is my biggest weakness.

Thanks Gutmutter I will have to try that.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

It's summer, which means GOOD stuff at the farmers' market! I mean, there's good stuff all year 'round, but I love summer fruits and veggies the best.

I got some gorgeous golden beets that I'm going to roast later and use for salads and sandwiches. They do tend to upset my tummy if I eat too many of them. Anyone know if you can freeze cooked beets?

The vendors with the best salad greens (who weren't there last summer - maybe they moved to another market, since we have 3 on Sundays) are back this year. I can buy a big bag of mixed greens and it will last almost a week without going bad. Nothing worse than buying a bag of beautiful salad greens on Sunday morning only to have them turn to slime by Tuesday.

I also bought a bunch of cherries - mostly Rainiers and a few Bings - that are fabulous! I ate most of them standing up in the kitchen. They weren't cheap, but they are SO good!

Can't wait for the peaches to come! I love living in a city surrounded by ag land!
    pikachu and inthegarden like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Anyone know if you can freeze cooked beets?
    Back when I grew beets I cooked them and then froze them. Should be fine!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Beets are first cousin to the antichrist!!!

This is rather food-related.....I am sick to death of hearing about the guy who ate and ate to put on a ridiculous amount of weight, and then took it all off!!! Surely, his 15 minutes of fame are up, by now!!!????
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had the BEST BLT for lunch today at a museum cafe! It was thick-cut applewood bacon, roasted tomatoes, arugula, lemon aioli and avocado I've never thought of roasting the tomatoes before. It gave the sandwich a completely different flavor. I can't wait to make it myself!
    pikachu likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love beets and had borscht at our multicultural festival last night.
    Roasted tomatoes are the bomb! I just got a little hibachi grill and might also try grilling them. Anyone have tips for that?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread