+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I need to become repulsed by chocolate and potatoes (in all forms)
    So do I. So do I. And, damn, for some reason I now have chocolate covered pretzels dancing in my head.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    So do I. So do I. And, damn, for some reason I now have chocolate covered pretzels dancing in my head.
    OH yes! I made a batch of them with jumbo pretzel rods and melted Lindt chocolate (they sell couverture here for baking) and then I rolled them in various toppings. I may need to have my jaw wired shut.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Liver. Ugghh. I never liked it, and when I learned about liver function in junior-high science, I tried to explain it to my mom. Um, yeah, like that was gonna work.

Years later I had a college roommate who loved liver. Ugghh. When she cooked liver, you could smell the stench in the downstairs entry hall. I'd walk into the apartment and ask, "Whom are you cooking?" (That didn't work, either...)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I've always prided myself on being an adventurous eater, but organ meats are a line I really won't cross. I've eaten liver before, but that's it. I just can't do it. I know it's "in" right now with cuisine for restaurants to use the cuts that no one used to eat. I've seen more than one restaurant have marrow on the menu. No thanks.

Actually, I will eat liverwurst, but not cooked liver. I'm not sure why there's a difference for me, but there is. I don't have liverwurst much though because it's so high in fat and calories. I can hardly enjoy it because I'm doing the math in my head.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love liverwurst. Like you it is so high in fat and calories I don't eat it often.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I went through a brief liver-and-onions phase some years back, but it's just not appetizing to me any more. I really like any kind of pate, though. I don't buy it, but if it's being served (I was at a brunch buffet at a high-end hotel a few weeks ago - some of the most delicious food I've ever had, the eggs Benedict with smoked salmon was to die for ) I'll have it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I do like liverwurst, but don't have it very often. I do like pate, but seldom get it, and don't work hard at trying to get it. While the liver and onions smell good while it's cooking, the only thing I like about that stuff is the onions. I've noticed that a lot of my "country" friends like the liver AND onions. I don't get the impression that my mother cooked liver, hardly, at all since I didn't have to do the "cry-in-misery-and-protest" when it was served, thank goodness. You know how we ALL tried to cook and get our children to eat what we were told was GOOD for them.

Had to really fight my Catholic mother on the white fish issue, though. She almost killed me trying to insist that I eat it.....and I had anaphylaxis issues with it, and kept going to the restroom to spit it out. And she finally gave up on trying to make me drink the white milk, because I just COULDN'T! Nestle's Quik changed that just a little, but not much. Disgusting, vile white liquid!!! To this day, I cannot understand how people can stand that taste....my sister being one of them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I do like liverwurst, but don't have it very often. I do like pate, but seldom get it, and don't work hard at trying to get it. While the liver and onions smell good while it's cooking, the only thing I like about that stuff is the onions. I've noticed that a lot of my "country" friends like the liver AND onions. I don't get the impression that my mother cooked liver, hardly, at all since I didn't have to do the "cry-in-misery-and-protest" when it was served, thank goodness. You know how we ALL tried to cook and get our children to eat what we were told was GOOD for them.

Had to really fight my Catholic mother on the white fish issue, though. She almost killed me trying to insist that I eat it.....and I had anaphylaxis issues with it, and kept going to the restroom to spit it out. And she finally gave up on trying to make me drink the white milk, because I just COULDN'T! Nestle's Quik changed that just a little, but not much. Disgusting, vile white liquid!!! To this day, I cannot understand how people can stand that taste....my sister being one of them.
    My biggest childhood nightmare was going to a friend's house for lunch and being served a tuna sandwich and glass of milk. I don't do tuna and don't drink milk so it wasn't fun trying to eat a bite and chase it with a mouthful of milk.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've always prided myself on being an adventurous eater, but organ meats are a line I really won't cross. I've eaten liver before, but that's it. I just can't do it. I know it's "in" right now with cuisine for restaurants to use the cuts that no one used to eat. I've seen more than one restaurant have marrow on the menu. No thanks.
    Actually, marrow (prepared correctly) is really good. You eat it with toast and a little bit of salt (sea salt is best, but anything but table salt should be OK). Yum :-)

Thanks to chefs like Chris Cosentino, more people are eating offal. But I draw the line at brains, tongue, and sweetbreads. And probably other stuff that I haven't run into.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Actually, marrow (prepared correctly) is really good. You eat it with toast and a little bit of salt (sea salt is best, but anything but table salt should be OK). Yum :-)

Thanks to chefs like Chris Cosentino, more people are eating offal. But I draw the line at brains, tongue, and sweetbreads. And probably other stuff that I haven't run into.
    I went to a blind tasting at a local restaurant and sweetbreads was one of the courses. I just made bites with my veggies and they tasted nice. I just had to close my brain off. My son bought himself an offal cookbook and he makes tripe very often. The thing with these trendy meats is that once people jump on the band wagon they aren't inexpensive anymore and people who were eating them because they could afford it no longer can. When I was first married chicken wings and thighs were so cheap and now they are almost as expensive as breasts.

+ Reply to Thread