+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree535Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I use it a lot in stir fries. I also juice it.
    Count your blessings!

I ended up blending the salad suggestions and went with mixed greens with fresh mozarella balls (that way I didn't have to cut the fresh mozzarella log; call me lazy), heirloom grape tomatoes in different colors, slivered almonds and a balsamic vinegarette made with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and soy sauce. It turned out great and went well with the risotto which had bacon, asparagus, and mushrooms.
    Ellen and TripleGemini like this.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I saw Dr. Oz on The View today...it was a show about fat/obesity. He brought out some of the preserved organ specimens that he is so known for showing; he had a couple of cross sections of human livers. He was asked if we should eat liver..........HE SAID "NO!" because the liver is a filtering organ and that when we eat liver, we ingest toxins that the animals have consumed and are filtered through their liver! Talk about a "major-YUCK visual"!!! I've never wanted anything to do with beef/calf liver, so maybe my body has been trying to protect me, all of these years. I, occasionally, don't mind a couple of chicken livers, but that does not even equal one meal/year. No, thank you! Did everybody know this about liver, except me?? Wouldn't surprise me, one bit, if I was "the cheese who stood alone."

We were always preached to, as children, about how liver was good for us. I always did my best to take a pass on that meal! I do know that some people really love it. "Thanks, anyway, but my iron count is just fine!"....and had I said that, it would have been about the time I would have been slapped away from the table!
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I did know that about liver. However Whole Foods now has organic chicken, calf and beef liver available. I love it!

My mom loves liver and onions. She used to cook it for the family, but my brother and I hate it. We'd barely be able to gag it down. Finally, she decided to just prepare something else for me and my brother and just made it for herself and my dad. Dad finally told her that she was the only one who liked it and asked her to cease and desist.

My cat is the only one in my house who likes liver. When I buy a whole chicken, she gets little bits of liver and it's like Christmas.

I don't listen to anything Dr. Oz says. I think he's an alarmist. If I listened to everything he says and added everything to my diet that he says I should be taking, I wouldn't eat any actual food. It would just be bits and bobs of various supplements. Of course, that's how he makes his living. It's a lot shorter show to just tell people to eat healthier and exercise. My mom refers to him as "Dr. Poop."
    nennie likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I knew that about liver...it's one of my "do not eat" foods. (Which, when referring to beef/calves liver is just fine...like Critical, my mom used to make it once a week, but it was like trying to eat shoe leather.) I love chicken livers, though, and I make pate at Christmas time. That gets me through the rest of the year.

(And as my son said last night when we were talking about food, "You hardly eat anything at all." So even though I make it once a year, I don't eat all that much of it.)

I had the best dessert tonight! I get together with a group of friends once a week and we always have food. This week, we had fruit salad and I brought ladyfingers and Cool Whip. My friend put some orange extract in the Cool Whip. OMG = Heaven!
    nennie likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Organ meat is fine for you in small amounts. The better choices, are from farms you know and trust but even a bit of supermarket liver once in a while isn't bad for you. Everything in moderation *this coming from the fat lady*
    There is a whole Offal movement now about eating conscientiously with little waste.

As for smoked salt it is readily available here at our supermarkets (I am not a huge fan because it smells a bit like an ashtray to me) but I don't mind it on grilled meat. I also was given a jar from Williams-Sonoma smoked salt | Williams-Sonoma
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Interesting how "offal" can be synonymous with "awful".

I'm telling you, the more I learn about meat the more pleased I am that I am repulsed by so much of it.....not all, but quite a bit.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Interesting how "offal" can be synonymous with "awful".

I'm telling you, the more I learn about meat the more pleased I am that I am repulsed by so much of it.....not all, but quite a bit.
    I need to become repulsed by chocolate and potatoes (in all forms)
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread