+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I was just thinking, a friend and I had a fabulous salad-ish appetizer at a restaurant in NYC that we still talk about. It's roasted beets, mascarpone cheese and smoked salmon with fresh basil. They sliced the beets and then layered the cheese and salmon on top like a little tower and then topped it with fresh basil. It's been maybe 4 years and we still talk about it! I think there were three slices of beet - top bottom and one in the middle between layers of the cheese and salmon. The restaurant used the regular purple beets, but we talked about how pretty it would have been with golden beets. Anyway, it would be a nice alternative to the usual green salad.

I'm making myself hungry!
    Last edited by Critical; 05-17-2012 at 01:30 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Crit, darn you for making me drool.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was just going through my refrigerator in preparation for going to the grocery store to see what I needed. I haven't been able to buy groceries for the last two paychecks because my bills ate up all my money so I desperately need to go now. I found some salad dressing that had a Best Use Date of October of 2010, and it wasn't even the oldest one! Later I found an unopened salad dressing with a Best Use Date in 2009. In all fairness to me, I did "inherit" some items from friends who left town. I think the oldest salad dressing was from them.

I check the expiration dates on products before using them and of course take a look to see if they look alright. If they're separated, moldy, or look or smell strange, I don't even taste them, I just toss them out.

I know I should go through my refrigerator more often to throw out expired products but I usually don't do it unless I need more room in my refrigerator or if I happen to think about it. Usually at times like now, when I find one expired product and go in search of more while I'm throwing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Crit, darn you for making me drool.
    Made myself drool too! I'm going to have to get some beets soon. I wish my tummy wasn't so sensitive. I can only eat them about once a week, maybe. I'd eat them every day if I could!

One of my favorite sandwiches ever is roasted beets with goat cheese and field greens on whole grain bread
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I took my chef daughter to Provincetown for her summer internship last weekend (Dalla Cucina). We ate there Sun. night and the food was the best I've ever had and that's really saying something. They were all so nice and sent out lots of food we didn't order and then comped us the meal. She's going to have quite the summer. She turns 21 tomorrow. I can't wait to go back and have more of that luscious food!!!

Menu
    Count your blessings!

There isn't anything bad on that menu! Now I'm hungry!

Seriously, I just had lobster and now I'm dying for some of that menu! Speaking of loster, my 4 year old ate most of mine. It's a good thing they are in season and not so expensive in Montreal because I'll definitely buy more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I took my chef daughter to Provincetown for her summer internship last weekend (Dalla Cucina). We ate there Sun. night and the food was the best I've ever had and that's really saying something. They were all so nice and sent out lots of food we didn't order and then comped us the meal. She's going to have quite the summer. She turns 21 tomorrow. I can't wait to go back and have more of that luscious food!!!

Menu
    I agree; everything looks great! I love that there are wine pairing recommendations with each menu item.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I had the fennel soup (with a huge, succulent scallop, citrus segments, and candied lilac florets). Talk about food sex! Also the lobster gnocci. OMG!!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I had the fennel soup (with a huge, succulent scallop, citrus segments, and candied lilac florets). Talk about food sex! Also the lobster gnocci. OMG!!
    I'm glad I scrolled down to see this comment. After perusing the menu, I was curious about the finocchio- fennel soup. Sounded interesting to me. I know lots of folks cook with fennel, but in our family it was always served as is, uncooked, with the fruits, nuts, and figs, after a holiday meal.

+ Reply to Thread