+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Can anyone tell me where to buy smoked salt? I am, especially, interested in the hickory.
    I'll bet an online seller like Penzey's has it. They have everything! I have some, but I bought it from someone who only sells here locally.

Has anyone tried those Newtons Fruit Thins? I bought some of the Cranberry Citrus Oat ones last night and they are SO good!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Shay, I've bought several kinds of salt from these guys (along with other stuff): Spices and seasonings at Wholesale Prices - Shop My Spice Sage They usually have a freebie if you buy a certain amount, too.

I try not to buy any kind of Newtons, Crit, because I'll eat the whole damn package.

I'm no help with salads, Mar...my fave is a basic old torn romaine with cranberries, pecans, and goat cheese chunks with a raspberry viniagrette. Yum!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Shay, I've bought several kinds of salt from these guys (along with other stuff): Spices and seasonings at Wholesale Prices - Shop My Spice Sage They usually have a freebie if you buy a certain amount, too.

I try not to buy any kind of Newtons, Crit, because I'll eat the whole damn package.

I'm no help with salads, Mar...my fave is a basic old torn romaine with cranberries, pecans, and goat cheese chunks with a raspberry viniagrette. Yum!
    Do you have a camera in my house of something? Really, it's only HALF of the package.

Way, my go-to salad is almost the same as yours! I like spinach salad with dried cranberries and roasted pecans and a nice vinaigrette. MMMMMMM.....goat cheese. Always a good idea!
    Ellen and waywyrd like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Can anyone tell me where to buy smoked salt? I am, especially, interested in the hickory.
    For me, at the neighborhood IGA supermarket. :
    Otherwise, the usual chains: Whole Foods? Sprouts? Wild Oats? Bristol Farms?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    I need suggestions for a salad to bring to my sister's house for dinner Saturday night. My mother is coming up for a late Mother's Day (she hurt her back so cancelled her plans to come last weekend) and we are having some sort of risotto with bacon (I'm guessing with butternut squash since I know it's one of my sister's favorites), bread from the local bakery and angel food cake with berries for dessert. I'm in charge of the salad and am trying to come up with something other than a basic green salad with veggies and can't seem to come up with anything. Any suggestions?
    How about tomatoes, mozzarella, prosciutto, and basil with a balsamic vinaigrette? Yum :-) (And if people don't like tomatoes, the salad works just as well with cantaloup.)

I found this salad on pinterest today and it looks so yummy.

Avocado Basil Pasta - Recipe.com
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

For now, I am only looking for the smoked salt as a flavor enhancer....Lord knows, I don't spend much time in the kitchen! It is one of those things that I think I must have heard about on Food Network, and decided that it is one of those things that one should just "have on the shelf"....just in case! I've got smoked paprika, and I haven't used it yet! Sounded like a good idea at the time!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    How about tomatoes, mozzarella, prosciutto, and basil with a balsamic vinaigrette? Yum :-) (And if people don't like tomatoes, the salad works just as well with cantaloup.)
    I made something similar today - cherry tomatoes, bocconcini, avocado, and sliced boiled eggs with a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and parsley. It wasn't so much a salad as it was a grouping of some of my favorite foods on a plate at the same time.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

One of the grocery stores here sells several types of chopped salads and one of them is very similar to the broccoli salad we all seem to have a recipe for. This salad has cauliflower, cabbage and several other veggies, as well as sunflower seeds, dried fruits and several other yummy things. It is SO good!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I made something similar today - cherry tomatoes, bocconcini, avocado, and sliced boiled eggs with a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and parsley. It wasn't so much a salad as it was a grouping of some of my favorite foods on a plate at the same time.
    Oh, that sounds good, too! I make that sometimes (with the addition of tuna and bacon) to make a Cobb salad without lettuce. (As much as I love lettuce, I have trouble eating it because of my teeth.)

+ Reply to Thread