+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

AJane, you are making me hungry!

Aren't pierogi potato dumplings?
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-02-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Yes, and it's probably more appropriate to use the word "dumplings" to refer to them rather than the cabbage buns, now that I think about it. The usual filling is potato and cheese, but sauerkraut filling is also very traditional. My grandmother also made blueberry filled ones, which we call "dessert perogies", but I don't like them. There's a specialty perogy shop where I live now that has all kinds of exotic fillings (the dill/Swiss cheese is excellent & even this non-perogy lover will eat them). My husband liked the bacon/cheddar ones.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I Googled "haluski" for a recipe and learned that it's sauteed shredded cabbage and onions with Polish egg dumplings. It sounds scrumptiious!

Cooks.com - Recipe - Cabbage And Polish Egg Dumpling (Haluski)
    That looks like it, I could have sworn it had bacon in it too. I remember it being so rich and so comforting....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    That looks like it, I could have sworn it had bacon in it too. I remember it being so rich and so comforting....
    I bet there are a thousand ways to make it, libgirl2 - and probably lots of them include bacon. Yum!

I think you can substiute bacon (and the renedered fat) for the butter in the Cooks.com recipe. Just sizzle up a pound of bacon and save 1/2 cup (plus 3 tablespoons) for cooking the cabbage.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-03-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I bet there are a thousand ways to make it, libgirl2 - and probably lots of them include bacon. Yum!

I think you can substiute bacon (and the renedered fat) for the butter in the Cooks.com recipe. Just sizzle up a pound of bacon and save 1/2 cup (plus 3 tablespoons) for cooking the cabbage.
    More then likely, that is what she did.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    No, perogies are different. The cabbage dumplings are more like stuffed mini-buns. (I've purchased a very similar item from a local Chinese bakery). Perogy dough is different - they are boiled first, then you mix them all in butter. You can fry them up after they're boiled & add onions & bacon. I rarely eat perogies any more (perogies & holubchi are staples at wedding dinners and holidays in my home province, particularly in the rural area my husband is from). My kids love them, though.
    Hmmm. My mom used to make something that we called "bee rocks" (actually, "bierock"):
    Bierock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Could this be it?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Hmmm. My mom used to make something that we called "bee rocks" (actually, "bierock"):
    Bierock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Could this be it?
    Nope. I nearly lost my mind trying to find it online because of the spelling. I had to call my mom - we use the English spelling, pereshke. Finally found a wiki page.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirozhki

The Ukrainian ones, though, are most often stuffed with sauerkraut.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Has anyone tried the cheese (sliced and shredded) that's part cream cheese? (Philadelphia brand). I saw it advertised on tv and even though I don't eat much cheese at all these days, I tried the sliced colby. Very creamy!
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Never heard of it, but I will be looking for it! I adore cheese!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Just to correct myself - it's made by Kraft, but it has the silver Philadelphia logo on the top of the package so it's easy to find. I got the Mexican shredded blend today and am about to try it on (jerusalem artichoke) elbow macaroni.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread