+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I had a baked sweet potato and some pita bread I needed to use, and I ran across a recipe for black bean, sweet potato burritos. I switched it up a little with some corn salsa and arugula, toasted two pita halves, and voila! A delicious, healthy lunch. The leftover sweet potato/bean mixture will go in the fridge for later this weekend.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    We had a neighbor growing up whose Polish mother (she was elderly at the time) made this dish and I have yet to find it anywhere. She called it "galushka", I don't know how to spell it. I remember it was cooked cabbage, bacon dumplings. It was so good! And so rich! She would use about a pound of bacon per bowl. And I think she used the bacon fat too.... yum.
    haluska?

Quote Originally Posted by grapenuts View Post
    haluska?
    I remember there being a "g" sound. I have seen some dishes that look similar, but oh those dumplings.... I should ask her granddaughter, but I know she doesn't cook it. Oh the things from your youth that you miss!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I remember there being a "g" sound. I have seen some dishes that look similar, but oh those dumplings.... I should ask her granddaughter, but I know she doesn't cook it. Oh the things from your youth that you miss!
    Was it "gołąbki" (cabbage rolls) by chance?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

The aromas wafting from the kitchen right now are making me hungry! Hubby is experimenting with a new recipe (or non-recipe: a little of this, some of that...): Asian pulled-pork sandwiches -- from what he's told me, it's a takeoff of the pulled pork we've had at barbecue joints. He's using a lean pork tenderloin from a local organic rancher/butcher, and his marinade and sauce feature Asian spices and flavors. For go-withs, we're having Trader Joe's kimchee (instead of cole slaw) and sweet potato fries.

Since I have the job of sommelière*, I've chosen a white blend: 2010 Apothic White.

* Technically, "sommelier" doesn't have a feminine form, but I think it should. My French clients -- especially the women -- agree.
    phat32 likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My mom made a dish of rolled cabbage stuffed with bacon, rice, and tomatoes stewed in a tomato/beef stock. The rolls were skewered with 2 toothpicks each.

She called it "halupkis" and learned it from our Polish great-grandmother. I have never made it. It takes hours of prep and cook time.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I Googled "haluski" for a recipe and learned that it's sauteed shredded cabbage and onions with Polish egg dumplings. It sounds scrumptiious!

Cooks.com - Recipe - Cabbage And Polish Egg Dumpling (Haluski)
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    My mom made a dish of rolled cabbage stuffed with bacon, rice, and tomatoes stewed in a tomato/beef stock. The rolls were skewered with 2 toothpicks each.

She called it "halupkis" and learned it from our Polish great-grandmother. I have never made it. It takes hours of prep and cook time.
    I grew up eating holubchi (everyone spells it different ). My mom makes it pretty good but my Polish/Ukrainian grandmother's was amazing. Germans also make it. My grandmother used cubed back bacon, but most people use hamburger meat. I'm way too lazy to make them myself, but there are still some good places in my home province (which has a large Ukrainian population) that you can buy them. The dumplings we called something entirely different & I don't want to attempt a spelling - those my mom never made, but we buy them at Christmastime. The place she gets them sells the traditional cabbage ones as well as ones stuffed with cheese or ground pork/beef (delicious).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    ...The dumplings we called something entirely different & I don't want to attempt a spelling - those my mom never made, but we buy them at Christmastime. The place she gets them sells the traditional cabbage ones as well as ones stuffed with cheese or ground pork/beef (delicious).
    Pierogi?

No, perogies are different. The cabbage dumplings are more like stuffed mini-buns. (I've purchased a very similar item from a local Chinese bakery). Perogy dough is different - they are boiled first, then you mix them all in butter. You can fry them up after they're boiled & add onions & bacon. I rarely eat perogies any more (perogies & holubchi are staples at wedding dinners and holidays in my home province, particularly in the rural area my husband is from). My kids love them, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread