+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

We had our corned beef, cabbage and potatoes dinner on Thursday as we were invited to a birthday luncheon yesterday which meant a light dinner later on. I buy a fairly lean corned beef with just a bit of fat which comes with the spice packet and boil it for about 3 hours. Then I boil separately the peeled white potatoes whole and wedges of cabbage. I normally don't like cabbage but my family used to slather mustard on not only the corned beef, but the cabbage and potatoes as well, which makes the cabbage taste somewhat palpable.

I made another boiled dinner today (yeah, I know...weird). This time, no turnip (still plenty left from Friday's batch) and savoy cabbage instead of regular.

Yum :-) I should be good for at least six months now, maybe longer.

Sauteed cabbage is delicious, too — a little butter, salt, pepper. Still has a bit of crunch. I also like to throw in some caraway seeds or sesame seeds if I have 'em around.

Friday, I had a bite of cornrd beef that the sample lady at Trader Joe's had prepared. For corned beef, it wasn't bad. But a bite was enough for me.

Growing up Polish, I had enough over-boiled cabbage to last five lifetimes!

Gołumbki? That's another story...
    Last edited by Ellen; 03-18-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I love sauteed red cabbage with onion, garlic, and black pepper! And cabbage, in general.

This year, though, I made Dublin coddle with sausages and bacon. We also had Guinness bread and minted chocolate torte.

I'm still burping.
    Ellen likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    This year, though, I made Dublin coddle with sausages and bacon. We also had Guinness bread and minted chocolate torte.

I'm still burping.
    OK, I have to ask...what's a "Dublin coddle"? (Anything with sausages and bacon has to be good!)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

March 19th is St. Joseph's Day, celebrated by many Italians and Italian-Americans. A typical Sicilian dish would be pasta con sarde (pasta with sardines). Not a fan. However, I am a fan of the traditional dessert eaten on St. Joe's Day: sfingi. Think of a giant cream puff with a filling of cannoli cream. Getting ready to partake in a few.

Poppy Fields likes this.

Those look delicious Eastcoastmom. Eat one(or two) for me!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    OK, I have to ask...what's a "Dublin coddle"? (Anything with sausages and bacon has to be good!)
    This may be too much information, TripleGemini, but... trust me. Give it a try. It's a national comfort food dish in Ireland.

Coddle (sometimes Dublin Coddle) is an Irish dish consisting of layers of roughly sliced pork sausages and rashers (thinly sliced, somewhat fatty back bacon) with sliced potatoes, and onions. Traditionally, it can also include barley.

Coddle is traditionally associated with Dublin, Ireland.[1] It was reputedly a favourite dish of Seán O'Casey and Jonathan Swift,[2] and it appears in several Dublin literary references including the works of James Joyce.[3]

The dish is semi-boiled, and semi-steamed in the stock produced by boiling the rashers and sausages. Some traditional recipes favour the addition of a small amount of Guinness to the pot, but this is very rare in modern versions of the recipe.[2] The dish should be cooked in a pot with a well-fitting lid in order to steam the ingredients left uncovered by water.[1] The only seasoning is usually salt, pepper, and occasionally parsley. It could be considered a comfort food in Ireland, and is inexpensive, easy to prepare and quick to cook. It is often eaten in the winter months. In the days when Catholics were not supposed to eat meat on Fridays, this was a meal often eaten on Thursdays as it allowed a family to use up any remaining sausages or rashers.
    -- Wikipedia

Recipe:

Start to finish: 1.5 hours (30 minutes active). Servings: 6.

2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil

6 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped

10 ounces chicken sausages (any variety), sliced into 1-inch-thick diagonal slices

2 large yellow onions, sliced

3 cloves garlic, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage

2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme

3 tablespoons chopped parsley

2 large russet potatoes, cut into thick slices

1 large sweet potato, cut into thick slices

2 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks

2 apples, cut into 1-inch chunks

1 cup apple cider

1 cup chicken stock

Salt and ground black pepper

In a large Dutch oven over medium-high, heat the oil. Add the Canadian bacon and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a small bowl.

Add the sausage to the pan and brown the slices on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sausage to the bowl of bacon. Add the onions and garlic to the pan, then saute for 7 to 8 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Stir in the sage, thyme and parsley.

Add the russet and sweet potatoes, carrots, apples and reserved meat. Pour the apple cider and chicken stock over everything. Cover and set over medium-low heat. Cook until the vegetables and potatoes are very tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.

Per serving: 340 calories; 10 grams fat; 35 mg cholesterol; 49 grams carbohydrate; 15 grams protein; 5 grams fiber; 670 mg sodium.

(from Celebrate St. Patrick )
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    This may be too much information, TripleGemini, but... trust me. Give it a try. It's a national comfort food dish in Ireland.
    Actually, I think this sounds really good :-) We're big on sausages and potatoes (although I try not to serve them to often), and I'm always in favor of a one-pot meal :-)

Thanks!

PS Now copied to my recipes in Evernote (so that I don't have to try to find this post later!)

We had a neighbor growing up whose Polish mother (she was elderly at the time) made this dish and I have yet to find it anywhere. She called it "galushka", I don't know how to spell it. I remember it was cooked cabbage, bacon dumplings. It was so good! And so rich! She would use about a pound of bacon per bowl. And I think she used the bacon fat too.... yum.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread