+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I wouldn't eat any more of the broccoli and I would call. Most stores and or manufacturers are great about refunding your money or giving you a replacement.

Yeah, I'm definitely not eating any more of it. I'm going to call this morning. The problem is that, although I remember looking at the receipt probably yesterday, I now can't find it. I may have to dig through the recycling to find it if they require a receipt.

Normally, I wouldn't even try to return it, but it started smelling within a few days and that's not normal.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm happy to report that CostCo took back the icky broccoli! I was sort of embarrassed returning it, especially since it was stinky. I kept wondering if people thought that smell was ME while I was standing in the returns line! I bought another bag of the stuff. If this one doesn't last, I'll start buying it at Smart and Final.

Of course, I didn't just get the replacement pack of broccoli. They have pineapple on sale $2.99 each and I HAD to get a 2 pack of Pugliese (my favorite bread!) and a pack of corn meal crust sausage pizza! I totally should have stopped for my hot dog lunch before I went in to shop!
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Happy St. Paddy's Day! So did everyone do corned beef tonight? Mine is just about done. I'm about to get up and get working on the potatoes and cabbage - I tried them in the crock pot one year and didn't like the way they turned out. Now I just do the corned beef in the crock pot and boil the rest with some of the juice from the crock pot.

It's POURING rain here and I'm craving a Shamrock Shake SO bad! I'm trying to ignore the craving, but I may give in and bundle up to go get one. I know they're a limited time only thing and I don't want to miss it!

Every year I love the corned beef so much and swear I'm going to buy two. This year I finally did. Buying a corned beef NOT in March is like buying a turkey any time other than the holidays - you can find one, but it's going to cost you!

We didn't have corned beef. But we had beef in the form of meatballs made of lean, grass-fed/finished organic local beef (from our favorite butcher shop), with Thai-style seasonings. For a cabbage dish, we had kimchee. So yummy!
    (I don't like corned beef nor bland boiled cabbage, so this variation works really well for me. I love kimchee!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We had boiled dinner on Friday...I couldn't wait ;-) This year, I got two fairly small corned beefs, so they cook quickly and satisfy my urgings.

I make them in a pot on the stove...I tried the crockpot one year, but it was still too salty. And I always hit the cabbage with a little white vinegar, which makes it less bland (although I like cabbage anyway). I still have turnip and carrots left over ;-)

I really like the corned beef in the crock pot. I add enough water that it doesn't stay too salty. I cook the potatoes and cabbage in the corned beef water, so they're pretty flavorful. I am part Irish though, so maybe a love of "bland" cabbage is in my genes!

We got a corned beef at Trader Joe's that was processed without nitrates and had spices already added. We put it in early to have for lunch, but when we were about to add the veggies, we tasted it and it had a mushy consistancy and the spices were weird... so we raced to the local grocery store and got a small commercial corned beef, dumped the old one into a collander and added hot water to the already hot crockpot and had it later that night with the veggies added in. We used brussels sprouts instead of cabbage. It was delicious. I sent the good corned beef leftovers back with her today but have the mushy, weirdly seasoned one to do what with???? Freeze in cubes and use in crockpot beans? Make corned beef hash with potatoes and onions? Use some for Rubens? I don't eat much meat and it's going to have to be combined with something with strong flavors to over-ride whatever flavorings they used. Suggestions?
    Count your blessings!

I love cabbage. I usually saute it with a little butter and salt and pepper. Absolutely love corned beef but the rest of my family doesn't like it so I don't buy it often. My church has a food ministry and they got tons of cabbage, pears and packages of romaine lettuce. I ended up with 6 packages of romaine lettuce, a case of bosc pears and 6 heads of cabbage. I made one head into slaw and gave 2 away and am going to make pear butter out of part of the pears and will share part of them and I shared some of the lettuce. Since I attend church there we get the groceries and I always have potatoes and canned goods. In the summer we usually have watermelon all summer and we most generally get 10 lb bags of chicken. We also get onions galore. I think I am truly blessed.

Our church just built a new warehouse cold storage building so I will probably always have fresh veggies now since we have somewhere to store it.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have never understood how people like corned beef. Maybe I just haven't had it prepared properly. Maybe it's just more of my "I just don't care much for meat" thing.

Cabbage is a treat!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread