+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

The day I saw pictures of it is the day I swore off Chicken McNuggets. I was never a big fan anyway, but still. Blech.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just think....the ground beef and the chicken nuggets are the products that we know about. Who knows what else is going on? Good reason to become a vegetarian!
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Just think....the ground beef and the chicken nuggets are the products that we know about. Who knows what else is going on? Good reason to become a vegetarian!
    Or just to know what you are eating. I bought my daughter a copy of The Omnivore's Dilemma and now she is super careful about what she eats. At 14 it is a good way to be with so much out there to tempt teens.
    Ellen likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Are you all following this story on the "pink slime" that is added, unlabeled, to the ground beef in the stores?
    Yes, and really, it's no surprise. Hubby and I stopped buying supermarket meat long ago. When we *do* buy meat, it's from a local small-business butcher shop that owns and operates its own certified organic ranch. We're also fussy about the restaurants we patronize as to the sources of their food. Luckily, in SoCal, that still gives us a good number of choices.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

We can't get local beef very often where we live. But we do buy USDA organic beef and have the store's meat department grind it for us. It only takes a few minutes to get this done - and no "pink slime." I think this would be true with the regular conventionally raised beef they selll if you have them grind it fresh (but then you'd be getting pharmaceutical residues in your dinner - hormones, antibiotics, and sometimes steroids).
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

We this fits right in with our plan to eat less meat. The grass fed beef is more expensive so it will have to be a once a week treat.

I also am thinking about getting a grinder attachment for the KA.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    We this fits right in with our plan to eat less meat. The grass fed beef is more expensive so it will have to be a once a week treat.

I also am thinking about getting a grinder attachment for the KA
    I have one and I used it to grind pork for sausage. I haven't tried doing beef with it yet.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I used to make beef jerky in bulk.....like hundreds of pounds of raw meat to dry and I would try to get the butcher to just let me buy the meat in a whole chub but he said no that they trim it and use the fat in other products as ground beef. I know nothing about pink slime but yuck makes me sick. I have a kitchen aid and this may make me buy my own grinder and do my own ground meats.

For a burger I like an 80/20 blend but for tacos and other things I like a real lean meat so this would help me to do it the way I like and and have control.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I'm really annoyed right now. Late last week, I bought a big bag of broccoli florets at CostCo. I generally get the bag and just eat on it for a week or two until it's gone. Well, after just a few days, it started reeking. I thought I had missed something rotten in the fridge and then I realized it was the broccoli. It all looks great - green and not limp with hardly any little brown spots like you just get with broccoli - but it smells like it's gone bad. Broccoli doesn't smell all that great to begin with, but this is bad. I'm really irritated because, even though it was only $3.99, I still spent money on it. I washed some of it before I cooked it last night and it was okay, but I'm not really feeling all that enthusiastic about eating it because it really does smell like it's gone bad.

In contrast, I bought a bag of Brussels sprouts and they still look and smell fresh. I'm wondering if I should call CostCo and see if I can return it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    In contrast, I bought a bag of Brussels sprouts and they still look and smell fresh. I'm wondering if I should call CostCo and see if I can return it.
    Yes, Costco lets you return everything. I would just take it in.

+ Reply to Thread