+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    oh my gosh. Such great ideas!

The fish smell: Alton says if your oil gets over 350 it will burn and make the smell stronger, also to use a solid shortening such as crisco instead of a liquid.

I will try the mustard vinegarette. I love Melissa and her recipes.

I will look up the test kitchen corn salad, inthegarden. They really know their stuff.

Personally I would love the greens, they would fit in with the spring theme. But my guests wouldn't eat them (DH's family)

Strawberries and any kind of cream cheese are a natural.
    We always use peanut oil. To me it is a lighter oil and shortening to me is heavy. Peanut oil has a higher burn point to.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What are the attributes of Yukon Gold potatoes? People seem to love them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    They have a nice texture, and they taste buttery even *without* butter.
    Critical likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

They seem to be less dry than other potatoes. They hold up well in roasting, baking, frying and I have yet to have a more delicious whipped potato.
    Ellen likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

For leftover turkey I usually do a tetrazzini and a pot pie (for the pot pie I use a frozen butter puff pastry as the top).

For South Asian food lovers I have been making my own garam masala for a few months now and it makes all the difference. I bought a used cookbook off amazon that someone had recommended and I am loving it. Charmaine Solomon's complete asian cookbook. It is an older book but you can get if for under 40$ I think and it covers 500+ pages.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    We always use peanut oil. To me it is a lighter oil and shortening to me is heavy. Peanut oil has a higher burn point to.
    Yes, Alton suggested peanut oil as a alternative to solid shortening.

One of the veggie sides I did last night was this roasted cauliflower with red pepper coulis. (coulis: french term for a thick sauce) lol

Roasted Cauliflower with Red Pepper Coulis | Annie's Eats

Annie also has a recipe for sesame soba noodles that I'm going to try. I've never had soba noodles, I hope we like them.
    Last edited by livin4reality; 03-10-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Are you all following this story on the "pink slime" that is added, unlabeled, to the ground beef in the stores? It has been on the evening ABC news this week. Apparently, a lot of stores carry the ground beef with this additive. I do know that it is USDA(?) approved, for years. The news people suggest that you talk to your meat people and ask if the "pink slime" has been added. They've asked a number of stores about "pink slime" in their ground beef, and some responded and some haven't. Whole Foods does not add the "pink slime"; that was the only store that responded with which I am familiar; my usual store was not listed. You can also be assured of no "pink slime" if your beef is labeled "Organic". Apparently, "pink slime" is made from trimmings from beef (fats and very little meat) that used to be put in pet foods....and now it's for us! It's considered a "filler"; it's has a gelatinous appearance. Can't help but wonder if the woman who approved this additive, however many years ago, feeds this beef to her family.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...grocery-store/
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Are you all following this story on the "pink slime" that is added, unlabeled, to the ground beef in the stores? It has been on the evening ABC news this week. Apparently, a lot of stores carry the ground beef with this additive. I do know that it is USDA(?) approved, for years. The news people suggest that you talk to your meat people and ask if the "pink slime" has been added. They've asked a number of stores about "pink slime" in their ground beef, and some responded and some haven't. Whole Foods does not add the "pink slime"; that was the only store that responded with which I am familiar; my usual store was not listed. You can also be assured of no "pink slime" if your beef is labeled "Organic". Apparently, "pink slime" is made from trimmings from beef (fats and very little meat) that used to be put in pet foods....and now it's for us! It's considered a "filler"; it's has a gelatinous appearance. Can't help but wonder if the woman who approved this additive, however many years ago, feeds this beef to her family.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...grocery-store/
    Oh yeah...I am VERY seriously considering buying a meat grinder for my KitchenAid mixer and grinding my own beef from now on.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Reminds me of an old joke: Did you hear what happened to the butcher when he backed into the meat grinder? He got a little behind in his work. (bah-dum-dum)
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Oooooooh!
    Have you seen the pink slime that is the blendered chicken product McDonald's uses for their chicken nuggets? It looks like chewed bubble gum.
    Redirect Notice
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread