+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

livin4reality America's Test Kitchen has a recipe for Fresh Corn Salad with Black Beans and Tomatoes, and I have a recipe for Black-eyed Pea Dip. Both are in a vinaigrette dressing and can be used as a side or served on chips. Let me know if you need them.

Sorry about the double post.
    I saw a party idea recently, can't remember where, they used small clear plastic cups, filled the bottom with dip and stacked in strips of vegetables. Making individual servings that would be easier to carry than a plate and... eliminating the grazers that stand over the tray and eat.

I saw a nifty dessert idea on pinterest the other day. They took strawberries and hollowed out the middle and put cream cheese filling(probably like the one used for cheesecake) and then sprinkled them with graham cracker crumbs.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

A sugar-free no-bake cherry cheesecake comes to mind for the dessert, livin4reality.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I saw a nifty dessert idea on pinterest the other day. They took strawberries and hollowed out the middle and put cream cheese filling(probably like the one used for cheesecake) and then sprinkled them with graham cracker crumbs.
    This sounds delicious and different! I would think that people would be talking about that for a while, and asking for the recipe. Simplicity and goodness all wrapped into one! Time for a quick practice batch!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

This is DEFINITELY something I'm going to try! Thanks
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I love pinterest. I have gotten some really good recipes from there. I made a cream cheese pound cake with one of the recipes off there and chicken enchiladas on there.that was good. I have a recipe for jumbalaya from there I can't wait to make. I will probably use the strawberry one for an outdoor event like the 4th of July or maybe a church event.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

oh my gosh. Such great ideas!

The fish smell: Alton says if your oil gets over 350 it will burn and make the smell stronger, also to use a solid shortening such as crisco instead of a liquid.

I will try the mustard vinegarette. I love Melissa and her recipes.

I will look up the test kitchen corn salad, inthegarden. They really know their stuff.

Personally I would love the greens, they would fit in with the spring theme. But my guests wouldn't eat them (DH's family)

Strawberries and any kind of cream cheese are a natural.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    oh my gosh. Such great ideas!

The fish smell: Alton says if your oil gets over 350 it will burn and make the smell stronger, also to use a solid shortening such as crisco instead of a liquid...
    I've always deep-fried catfish (and any Southern-styled fish) -- that would be a lot of shortening to melt! The only way I know to fry fish is to bread it, lower it into the boiling oil, and it's ready when it rises to the top! I'd love to learn a better way of frying....this is why I stick with baking/broiling anyway - it's healthier and cheaper! Oil is expensive when used in large quantities.

BTW, we always bread our catfish in cornmeal, which is mixed with cayenne pepper and white pepper - anybody else do this or have another breading?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I love pinterest. I have gotten some really good recipes from there. I made a cream cheese pound cake with one of the recipes off there and chicken enchiladas on there.that was good. I have a recipe for jumbalaya from there I can't wait to make. I will probably use the strawberry one for an outdoor event like the 4th of July or maybe a church event.
    WHAAAT???? And leave us sitting here with our cute little empty dessert plates???? Heartless nennie!!
    Jamie5632 and nennie like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread