+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 484 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282132 ... LastLast
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3214829;
    No. We had a great local ice cream shop that did make all their own ice cream and every year at Thanksgiving, they offered pumpkin ice cream pies.
    So we bought one one year and it was fabulous.

I don't like pumpkin pie. It's more a consistancy thing with me as I love pumpkin flavored anything else. So the ice cream pie was a good choice.
    I realize I'm quoting from a month ago, but since that discussion, I've been contemplating trying my hand at a pumpkin ice cream pie. I took today off from work for a doctors appointment (and for my sanity, but that's a separate issue), and gave it a go, using the pumpkin ice cream recipe from Ben and Jerry's cookbook, and a gingersnap crust recipe from Cooks.com.

I thought it was a pretty good combination, and my dad is already asking me to make another one, even though we have more than half a pie left... so a big THANK YOU to MRD for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3234204;
    I realize I'm quoting from a month ago, but since that discussion, I've been contemplating trying my hand at a pumpkin ice cream pie. I took today off from work for a doctors appointment (and for my sanity, but that's a separate issue), and gave it a go, using the pumpkin ice cream recipe from Ben and Jerry's cookbook, and a gingersnap crust recipe from Cooks.com.

I thought it was a pretty good combination, and my dad is already asking me to make another one, even though we have more than half a pie left... so a big THANK YOU to MRD for the inspiration!
    That sounds really good, can you post the recipe you used on the recipe forum?

I posted the pumpkin ice cream pie recipe, minus the pumpkin ice cream recipe which I don't have right now (but I made it from Ben and Jerry's cookbook), in the recipe thread.

There's a Ben & Jerry's cookbook? OMG that is awesome!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3232592;
    Oooo! That sounds just like Nugget Market in Norcal (right down to the part about them being great to work for). It's like a grocery store and a gourmet store all in one. They have a cheese counter to die for and tons of prepared foods - from Chinese (they even have a sushi chef) to pasta to a bakery that has me drooling every time, as well as cold sandwiches and salads. I alternately wish I had one in my neighborhood and am thankful I don't!
    Nugget is awesome! I have one close by. Their prepared foods are amazing, but I can't shop there often because it gets too expensive. I like the produce section too. They make displaying fruits and vegetables into an art form.

Is everyone aware that the Food Network has reinstated Chef Robert Irvine as host of Dinner Impossible? I saw it today on the CNN crawl. He has already taped 6 shows that will begin to air in December. I, for one, am THRILLED! I never did care much for Michael Symon. His grammar, for one thing, drives me nuts, and he just didn't have the entertainment value and attractive personality of Irvine. I think FN realized that the ratings for DI were suffering greatly.
    Susan

I agree he is a better host for that show but am disappointed they would hire someone who blatantly lied about his credentials. What type of message does that send? I remember after I found out about Robert Irvine, I watched his show and didn't see him as the person I used to.

Has anyone ever made pie crust using a kitchen aid mixer? I've always done it by hand and I don't own a food processor (a big one). I have to make a lot of pie crust for thanksgiving and wonder if using my mixer would work.

I used to work with a baker who used a Hobart to make pie crust. I thinnk she used the dough hook...

ALSO after you make up the crust can you just freeze them already rolled into the pie pan? Help! Please!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

I don't know about the mixer, but yes, you can freeze them. Take them out ahead of time and let them thaw before filling and baking. Doesn't take too long to thaw.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Does anyone have the Calling All Cooks cookbooks? The blue one has a coconut pie recipe that I need. Is it illegal to go to the book store and copy a recipe out of one of the cookbooks? They're good books but a bit expensive and I just need the one recipe.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

+ Reply to Thread