+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

We had these green beans for Thanksgiving. They were yummy and can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge:

Haricots Verts with Champagne-Shallot Vinaigrette Recipe | MyRecipes.com

I'm sure you could substitute a different light vinegar for the champagne vinegar if you don't have it and don't want to buy it.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

livin4reality, your menu brings up good memories of family get-togethers; we have a very similar meal every summer. (But our traditional desserts are always banana pudding and watermelon, so that's of no help in aiming for sugar-free or spring-fresh.)
    I like that idea of a spring salad. And I wanted to add that corn can be an easy side for a group if you season & wrap the ears in foil, then just toss in the oven or on the grill to roast (sort of like baked potatoes).
    Sounds like you're planning something big; hope you have a great time.

ugh. I have such great replies typed out and lost them!

Sugarmama, I would like to try your dressing recipe. I much prefer homemade over bottled stuff.

Ellen-the fruit/yogurt/honey idea is great. That is one of my top two favorite desserts-the other being ice cream which is not good for me. I'll even add some walnuts.

Mariner- I thought about green beans. There are usually some good quality fresh ones this time of year. I will check out your link.

coltnlasma-yes when I thought of this menu it was with my mother in mind. She would always cook such great meals for us. I miss her quite a bit still.

Thanks for the input FORT friends.

ETA: Mariner those green beans sound really good. I will give them a test run.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

My favorite dressing recipe - Mustard Vinaigrette

1 garlic clove, sliced in half
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 TBLS balsamic vinegar
    small splash of soy sauce
    salt and freshly ground pepper
    3 TBLS good olive oil

Use the halved garlic to rub the bottom and sides of salad bowl (or dressing bowl), for a mild flavor only. Discard. Whisk the other ingredients together, voila!

This recipe is from Melissa D'Arabian (Next Food Network Star winner a while back). She and her husband lived in France for a while, and they had a favorite cafe. She loved this dressing so much that when they were getting ready to move back to the U.S., she asked the chef if he'd tell her how he made it, and he did. This is my personal favorite, and everyone I've had try it loves it, too. It's flavorful but not overpowering - it enhances the salad. So quick and easy to make!

Hope you enjoy!
    livin4reality likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Your catfish fry sounds so good! If you want to stick with traditional Southern food you might serve it with mustard and turnip greens. They take awhile, but you can do them ahead. Corn pudding is a nice touch on the plate, too, with fried catfish - do ahead and serve cold if you like.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When my ex- would rarely fry catfish, my house always smelled like urine. I guess it's just the fish....anyway, it gave me an excuse to leave since I am severely allergic to white fish, not just ingesting it, but being around it when it's cooking, too. I assume he really enjoyed it....or he really enjoyed having me out of the house!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Shay - So sorry to hear you cannot eat white fish. I think any fish we fry smells up our house for a couple of days, especially in winter. But, it's worth it.

SugarMomma - The mustard vinaigrette sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

We've not done a fish fry in years, but from my grandmother's time to mine...we learned that it's best to run an extension cord (if need be) to the porch or patio and do it outdoors - everybody's a lot happier!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    HELP! I need some ideas for veggies to go with this menu. I would prefer do-ahead sides as most of the other stuff is last minute.

Fried Catfish
    Hushpuppies
    Fried Potatoes
    Coleslaw

I need a couple veggie sides and a light dessert. A sugar free dessert would be a bonus. I'm doing this right around spring break here the end of March. So I was thinking of doing spring related foods.
    I think a menu like that has to include collard greens, doesn't it? It all sounds yummy! I'd add banana pudding too because it's my favorite. You could do the sugar free pudding...
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

A couple of you have mentioned turnip/mustard/collard greens with the fried fish - but (just my personal opinion) that seems a bit "heavy" with fish, the flavor of greens can be pretty strong. I love white fish, and it's hard to find flavors to surround it but not overtake it and let the fish be the star. Just my opinion, and like bellybuttons - everybody has one

+ Reply to Thread