+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What the heck is korma???
    In a nutshell, meat and/or veggies braised, seasoned, and combined with yogurt and/or coconut milk (or cream; I don't like it with cream).
    Korma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is it just me, or is it just plain ugly?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

So is a potato. Doesn't matter what it looks like - it matters what it tastes like!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's not a dish that would win a beauty contest—that's for sure! But it is delicious!
    Critical likes this.

It's not just you! The first thought that came to my mind was of a sick cat I used to have. That's as far as I'll go
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

"...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

HELP! I need some ideas for veggies to go with this menu. I would prefer do-ahead sides as most of the other stuff is last minute.

Fried Catfish
    Hushpuppies
    Fried Potatoes
    Coleslaw

I need a couple veggie sides and a light dessert. A sugar free dessert would be a bonus. I'm doing this right around spring break here the end of March. So I was thinking of doing spring related foods.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I wish they made Reuben sandwiches with pastrami instead of old, gross corned beef. That is a great sandwich, except for the corned beef. Too much fatty junk for me!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    HELP! I need some ideas for veggies to go with this menu. I would prefer do-ahead sides as most of the other stuff is last minute.

Fried Catfish
    Hushpuppies
    Fried Potatoes
    Coleslaw

I need a couple veggie sides and a light dessert. A sugar free dessert would be a bonus. I'm doing this right around spring break here the end of March. So I was thinking of doing spring related foods.
    That sounds yummy just as it is! We used to fry catfish years ago and had just what you've got there

If you consider corn on the cob a vegie, that's always good (I'd always fry my catfish after dredging in cornmeal). A nice, green salad would suffice, in my opinion - baby spinach, broccoli florets, finely diced shallots, grape tomatoes, cucumber, celery, etc. - with a very light dressing that will compliment, not cover up the catfish flavor (I have a wonderful recipe for a light dressing if you're interested, it doesn't hide the taste of the vegetables)

The catfish is the star of a meal like that
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

With all that heavy fried stuff, I would go with local, seasonal crudités to balance it out.
    And for dessert: seasonal fresh fruit, with a side of sauce/dip/drizzle of simply Greek-style yogurt with local raw honey. Or a fruit sorbet with granola and a drizzle of raw local honey.

+ Reply to Thread