+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

I learned that diabetes is ridiculously widespread....more so than one might think...and that even skinny people can have the disease....in my opinion, it starts out as a malfunction, and transitions to various diseases. Giving people hell won't help them, just like giving them hell about their lack of weight loss won't help. Actually, it's just mean. They don't want this problem; they need positive support. It's just wrong to assume that it's all their fault. Some peple's bodies are just faulty, by genetics, but there are ways that people can care for themselves better. Let's encourage them instead of discourage them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm happy to report that my first turkey with stuffing was a success! It's resting on the counter for while, waiting to be carved. The stuffing turned out pretty good, although not as good as my mother's. I'll give myself a break on that since she's been doing it for 50+ years!

The only hitch came when I went to get the bird out of the pan and onto the big carving board. Since I don't have a roasting pan (or space to store one), I got one of those cheesy disposable ones. They aren't very study and they aren't very deep. I almost had some overflow with the juices, although, miraculously, the pan stayed together. BUT, because I don't have one of those inserts in the pan to lift out the turkey, I can't get it out of there! It's just too heavy. I'm waiting until it cools a bit so I can carve it in the pan. I figure once the breasts are off, it'll be light enough. I tried to lift it out with some spatulas, but I was afraid they were going to break. Storing this away for future reference....

Anyone know if those lifty insert things (<---- culinary term) can be bought separately or do they only come with a roasting pan?
    Lizard and Poppy Fields like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Congratulations, Crit! Be sure to let us know how it tastes :-)

And next time, use kitchen twine/string to make a harness around the bird. A couple of fancy knots, and then you can lift the turkey right out of the pan when it's finished :-) (Note: I have a lifty insert thing that came with my roaster...very heavy duty, so that isn't the issue...but even if I lift it out, I still have to figure out how to get the bird onto a platter or carving board.)

Oh, and if you put the disposable roaster on a cookie sheet, it'll be easier to get it in and out of the oven.

Thanks! Good idea about the twine. Since it's just for me, it doesn't need to be pretty (or even all in one piece, apparently). If I can't find one of those inserts, I'll do the twine next time I think that, in this case, a cookie sheet would have made things worse. The fact that the bottom gave a bit kept it from overflowing when I took it out of the oven. I was sure I'd be mopping the floor tonight!

I've been carving and it tastes pretty good! I didn't brine it this time because it was so darned big and those giant Ziploc bags are pricey. I put butter with thyme and sea salt between the skin and the breast and that definitely helped keep it moist.

Anybody got a good leftover turkey recipe? I'm going to be eating turkey for the next month or so, it'd be nice to have some variety! I'm great with a turkey soup and I have several recipes I like, but beyond hash and sandwiches, I'm at a loss. I'm freezing a bunch of it right now. I got such a great deal on it (I think it was $9), so I'm going to get as much mileage as I can! I'll be making stock tomorrow.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Good job on the turkey! You're right about the flimsy foil pans - they're dangerous. But, a really big turkey won't fit in standard roasting pans. At least not in any of mine. After cooking a 24 lb. bird in a foil pan a couple years ago, I vowed never to do one over 12 lbs. ever again.

My family's favorite use of leftover turkey is Jambalaya with turkey and andouille sausage. Everyone's recipe for Jambalaya varies, but here is the basic:

Saute bell peppers (2, any color) with a whole red onion (diced) in a couple tbsp. olive oil until they are sweated and soft. Add 3 or 4 cloves of a garlic, minced. Saute at least 3 minutes.

Add meat: coins of andoille (or the meat from the casings) and saute untll everything is browned and fragrant.

Add the heat: white pepper, black pepper, cayenne, smoky paprika, oregano, thyme (all to taste - or smell!).

Deglaze the pot with beer or wine. Stir in 3 cups of uncooked rice until coated. Add 6 cups of broth, bring to boil, cover and turn the heat down as low as it will go to simmer for 20 minutes (or until the rice absorbs the broth). Add pieces of shredded leftover turkey to the top of the pot after 15 minutes.

Remove from heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes before serving.

We like this with cornbread.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 01-27-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

A smaller bird....or 2 smaller birds make sense to me, but I guess it really depends on what's available at the store, too......sayeth the non-cook. What about turkey tetrazzini? Or pot pies?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We do turkey tapas — look on the fridge, pantry, spice rack — and see what would work with the profiles in our wine rack, and just play it by ear from there. Those tapas meals turn out to be way better than the original traditional turkey 'n' taters meal.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thanks for all the suggestion! For right now, it's all about turkey sandwiches and then, tomorrow, turkey soup. I've frozen at least half of the white meat and will probably do the same with the dark meat. At Christmas, my mom always does a turkey and I only got one sandwich this time before all the turkey was pretty much gone.

I went ahead and made the stock last night since I was on a roll. I had bought what I thought was cheesecloth, but it's really these things called soup socks (Natural Soup Sock, Soup Sock Natural). Has anyone used them before? I bought them at World Market. Basically, you put everything for the stock in this cheesecloth sack and then, when you're done, you just pull it out and the stock is left in the pot and you don't have to strain it. The turkey carcass was too big for it, but the thing fit perfectly over the metal colander I use to strain the stock. I've got a chicken carcass I need to make stock with, so I'm definitely going to try one of the socks with that. SO much easier! I think the bag I bought came with four socks and it wasn't very expensive.

I do have my one (now) old standby recipe of meat with sweet potatoes, onions and maple syrup with thyme, salt and pepper and it's good with turkey. Because I live alone, making big gobs of one thing (other than soup) is tough, especially if it doesn't keep well, like something with a creamy sauce. Plus, some of the things I like the most aren't very healthy, so I'm trying to avoid them. I LOVE stuffing, but I'm trying not to eat all of it in the next day or two.

I've been craving aloo gobi and bought a cauliflower to make it this weekend. Maybe I should do a turkey curry to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've been craving aloo gobi and bought a cauliflower to make it this weekend. Maybe I should do a turkey curry to go with it.
    Well, most of the turkey is GONE! Or, I should say, it's either gone or in the freezer. I'm really proud of myself that it hasn't been wasted. This week, I did aloo gobi to go with a batch of turkey korma I made with mostly dark meat. The korma was really good. I'm not as happy with the aloo gobi recipe I used. I'm going to be hunting for a better one.

The korma was totally not healthy, but it was yummy! The batch I made divided into four meals, so I minimized the damage.

What the heck is korma???

+ Reply to Thread