+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Most interesting! I will admit to loving me some Miss Paula.

Paula Deen spreads word about diabetes in down-home manner - USATODAY.com
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I wonder how she's going to revamp her show. She certainly can't be doing her usual deep-fried sugar chunks in butter sauce anymore. And watching her cook healthy stuff just seems...weird.

I did read she got a sweet multi-million dollar deal hawking some diabetes drug. So not all is lost.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I saw her recently on Dr. Oz and she admitted her deep, dark, guilty secret is that she's a smoker. How is this woman still alive? Why am I not a size 2 and running marathons?
    Ellen and Jamie5632 like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I saw her recently on Dr. Oz and she admitted her deep, dark, guilty secret is that she's a smoker. How is this woman still alive? Why am I not a size 2 and running marathons?
    I know, right? I ask myself this question ALL the time!

So I just pulled out my big turkey out of the freezer this afternoon. I'm thinking I'll be able to cook it maybe by the weekend. It's just shy of 20 lbs, so who knows how long it'll take to thaw. My freezer seems MUCH bigger without that big bird in it! I'm planning on doing stuffing too. Last year (or maybe the year before - I can't remember), I only did the turkey with some onion and carrots and, although the bird turned out great, it was such a let down not to have stuffing. Apparently, when I smell turkey roasting, I crave stuffing!

I roasted a smaller turkey breast side down and it went really well. I just turned it to brown the skin on the breast for the last hour or two. I'm a bit worried to try it with this big of a bird. I hope it doesn't end up on the kitchen floor when I try to flip it!
    cablejockey likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I know, right? I ask myself this question ALL the time!

So I just pulled out my big turkey out of the freezer this afternoon. I'm thinking I'll be able to cook it maybe by the weekend. It's just shy of 20 lbs, so who knows how long it'll take to thaw. My freezer seems MUCH bigger without that big bird in it! I'm planning on doing stuffing too. Last year (or maybe the year before - I can't remember), I only did the turkey with some onion and carrots and, although the bird turned out great, it was such a let down not to have stuffing. Apparently, when I smell turkey roasting, I crave stuffing!

I roasted a smaller turkey breast side down and it went really well. I just turned it to brown the skin on the breast for the last hour or two. I'm a bit worried to try it with this big of a bird. I hope it doesn't end up on the kitchen floor when I try to flip it!
    My Mom used to "flip the bird" every Thanksgiving. I've never tried it myself but steady nerves and a good pair of oven mitts couldn't hurt.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555 View Post
    My Mom used to "flip the bird" every Thanksgiving...
    Mine, too!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Mine, too!
    Thanks Ellen! It wouldn't be a holiday without it.
    CYA

Any mexican food fans have any recipes for mole enchiladas? BTW, mole is pronounced "mo-lay" for those who haven't heard of it.
    Down the middle drops one more grain of sand.
    They say that new life makes losing life easier to understand.
    Words are kind, they helped ease the mind. I'll miss my old friend.
    And though you gotta go, we'll keep a piece of your soul.
    One goes out, One comes in.

SIGH. You know, sometimes, making jam without any added sugar only seems like a good idea.

My aunt and uncle always make jam for Christmas gifts. This year, we got plum, which is usually one of my favorites. Because my aunt is diabetic, she doesn't add sugar, which is usually not a big deal with apricot and strawberry. With plum, it makes a huge difference. Just too tart. I like a piece of toast and jam with my tea sometimes

We usually get 2-4 varieties of jam, so we all pick the ones we want. This year, it was all plum. Their fridge died while they were out of town and all of the strawberries, loganberries and apricots that they'd prepped for jam-making were ruined. Hoping for apricot next year.

Re: flipping the bird (), I only have a few oven mitts and I don't want to ruin them getting them all covered in butter, but my mom suggested covering them in foil, which seems like a great idea. We'll see if it works! The bird has been in my fridge for 2 days and it's only slightly less rock-ish. Maybe next week..... It's cold and rainy right now and is supposed to stay that way for a little while. I hope I can cook that turkey while it's still feeling wintery! There's nothing like the smell of a turkey roasting while it's cold and blustery out!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I wonder how she's going to revamp her show. She certainly can't be doing her usual deep-fried sugar chunks in butter sauce anymore. And watching her cook healthy stuff just seems...weird.

I did read she got a sweet multi-million dollar deal hawking some diabetes drug. So not all is lost.
    I've never watched this Paula Deen's show - heard of her but never looked at her recipes. I heard it was all fried crap so couldn't be bothered. Please tell me that what you just described is an exaggeration.

If people eat that stuff they deserve what they get. A good friend of ours - age 40 - was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He admits to eating crap & in spite of his disease he's actually put ON weight. I've given him hell about it - as, of course, has his wife & family - and he won't change. He has a collection of pills in those daily cases, like a frigging senior in a nursing home.

I have noticed the shocking amount of tv ads lately for glucose monitors. This must be epidemic now. I do agree moderation is key, but I know an alcoholic can't have even one drink. A recovering drug addict can't take even one painkiller. So in theory, there are people who can't have even one fried Mars bar or whatever this Paula woman serves up.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread