+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

We're eating leftovers and fresh figs.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

So, how was it, LittleSew&Sew? I absolutely love moussaka but never tried my hand at making it. Is it difficult to make?

I just took my daughter to an excellent tapas bar. OMG
    Ibiza Tapas Wine Bar in Northhampton, Mass - Tapas Menu, Executive Chef Juan Garcia
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Yum, yum, yum! Some of the best memories I have were spending some extended time with a friend who was living in Madrid and teaching English there. Every night after work we would go tapa hopping. Love the tortilla espańola and we used to order this fish tapa called "merluza", which I think is known as hake in English. Instead of napkins you were given these little waxed paper sheets, which you would crumple up and throw on the floor after you were done. Don't ask me why as I have no idea. Good times!

OMG that sounds like heaven! The soles of my feet are starting to itch! (Suddenly wondering if that is a universal phrase).
    Count your blessings!

Okay, Gut, you and me off to Madrid! ˇVámonos! This is a bit o/t but looking at that tapas list and seeing "jamón serrano" (which is a cured Spanish ham, think Italian prosciutto), reminded me of a funny story. This is told at my expense. Spaniards like to make comments to women passerby which are called piropos. Some can be cute, clever, or even vulgar at times. It takes quite a bit of getting used to. Since my major was Spanish, I of course, understood them, and sometimes made my own comments back. Long before the days of J Lo, and Kim Kardashian, I had a bit of junk in the trunk, if you will. So one day while strolling with my friend in Madrid a 'gentleman" shouted out to me that I had an a** like a jamón serrano!!! Ouch! I didn't know if that was a good thing or not. Some guys like an ample booty. Another o/t story: the same friend and I were walking and some guy said that my breasts were like "melocotones" or peaches. WELL, I am quite bosomy and took offense at that and said to him in perfect Spanish. Peaches? Well, at least Grapefruits!!! The look on his face was priceless!!!
    Baby's Breath likes this.

We had the jamón serrano (an aged ham) and my daughter had been taught that it was illegal in the US. Do you know anything about that?
    Count your blessings!

I don't know anything about the hams being illegal in the U.S., Gut, but I did find one article that said a New Jersey firm recalled jamón serrano b/c of potential Listeria contamination.
    New Jersey Firm Recalls Imported Ham Products Due To Potential Listeria Contamination

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    We had the jamón serrano (an aged ham) and my daughter had been taught that it was illegal in the US. Do you know anything about that?
    Until recently, jamón ibérico was not available in the United States (a fact referenced in the movie Perdita Durango, where the ham of Jabugo is praised as "illegal, but delicious").

Prior to 2005, only pigs raised and slaughtered outside of Spain were allowed to be processed in Spain for export to the United States. In 2005, the first slaughterhouse in Spain, Embutidos y Jamones Fermín, S.L. (Salamanca), was approved by the United States Department of Agriculture to produce ibérico ham products for export to the United States.

They have been sold in the US since 2007/2008.

Interesting! I'll pass the info on to her. My other daughter is here with her boyfriend and they taught him to make fresh pasta last night. Mmmm.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread