+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I have wanted to try Ezekiel bread. Maybe I will give it a try and see if I like it. I usually do like things like that. I wonder the sodium levels.... I am watching my salt.
    Ezekiel is okay, but it's a bit of an acquired taste, imo. I think it's only good toasted because it's so dense and, since you have to keep it refrigerated and that tends to make bread get stale, the toaster sort of revives it. I only ever liked it for toast and not for sandwiches. We have a local bakery here that does Spelt bread that I LOVE. It's about $7, so I only get it for a treat, but it's really delicious. I try to avoid wheat gluten, so I'm okay with spelt and rye.

One of the companies that makes sprouted wheat bread (and I can't remember the name of the company right now) does bagels. I used to love their cinnamon raisin bagels, toasted, with cottage cheese on top for breakfast. Then I added up the calories and switched to oatmeal or fruit!
    Last edited by Critical; 11-28-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Ezekiel is okay, but it's a bit of an acquired taste, imo. I think it's only good toasted because it's so dense and, since you have to keep it refrigerated and that tends to make bread get stale, the toaster sort of revives it. I only ever liked it for toast and not for sandwiches. We have a local bakery here that does Spelt bread that I LOVE. It's about $7, so I only get it for a treat, but it's really delicious. I try to avoid wheat gluten, so I'm okay with spelt and rye.
    I just wanted to note that you should never refrigerate bread. I keep my Ezekiel bread in the freezer. I get the sesame variety and the cinnamon raisin. I also get the cinnamon raisin English muffins. It is very dense, but that's what I like about it. It carries me over until lunch.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I need recommendations on bread. I am waaaay over wheat bread, and I want to know what else it good; I remember when Roman Meal used to be a real treat, but it's strictly wheat now. I do like dark breads, but I'd prefer suggestions before I jump out there and get stuck with something I don't like. Should I try Panera? I just want something good. I am not a bread-head, so I am limited. Some of you bread fanatics out there, !!
    The best bread I have had at Panera is their Tomato Basil Bread. It is goooood stuff! It isn't a dark bread, but it is pretty dense. I often get it when I make a big pot of hearty soup because it goes alongside. If I have some leftover and it starts to get a bit dry I either toast it or lay it out on a baking sheet, grate some smoked cheddar on top, and put it in the oven on broil until the cheese is melted and it is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just wanted to note that you should never refrigerate bread. I keep my Ezekiel bread in the freezer. I get the sesame variety and the cinnamon raisin. I also get the cinnamon raisin English muffins. It is very dense, but that's what I like about it. It carries me over until lunch.
    I always kept it in the fridge because it's in the refrigerated section at the grocery store. Really though, it's still a very dense bread that I would never eat NOT toasted.

The only bread I usually have in my house is some type of sandwich thins because I like them for turkey burgers. Those I keep in the freezer - they take just a few minutes to thaw at room temp or in a pan on the stove (I have pilot lights, so just the heat from that does the trick). I find most of the gluten free options fairly unappealing, so I'd rather just not have much bread. When I eat too much gluten, I feel tired and bloated. I love bread, but it's not worth it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just made the special flavor "rumballs" for this season - peppermint bark... white chocolate, peppermint schapps, vanilla wafers, walnuts, crushed candy canes. sooooo good.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I live in Florida and pretty much have to keep bread in the refrigerator because the humidity makes it get moldy very quickly if it sits out. I hate that because refrigerating the bread makes it tough but better to have stiff bread for my sandwiches than moldy bread.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I live in Florida and pretty much have to keep bread in the refrigerator because the humidity makes it get moldy very quickly if it sits out. I hate that because refrigerating the bread makes it tough but better to have stiff bread for my sandwiches than moldy bread.
    Very true!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

We're making a family favorite - peppermint snowballs. I'll post the recipe on the recipe thread if anyone wants to make them.

The rumballs sound luscious, Gutmutter.

The response to these peppermint bark rumballs has been overwhelming. I'll post the actual recipe in the recipe thread. The only downside? I can usually resist the regular chocolate and white chocolate versions I make every year, and last year's butterscotch/ginger ones were delicious, but I can't stop eating these peppermint bark ones!
    Count your blessings!

FoRTer

Those peppermint recipes sound so good! I want to try both of them, and maybe add in a chocolate version of each for teacher or neighbor gifts.

Last night for dinner we made crockpot pinto beans with ham, and cornbread and pickled onions. Had only red onion on hand (usually use white), and was surprised at what a beautiful bright pink they turned. It was such a cool-looking color. Would probably look great with white beans.

+ Reply to Thread