+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 480 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131 ... LastLast
Like Tree485Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;3232524;
    Oh Lucy. Wegmans is WONDERFUL. They started in Western New York, so I grew up with them. I've never been to a better grocery store in my life. They have all the good parts of Whole Foods/TJ's, but also the more "normal" stuff, and you don't have to necessarily spend Whole Foods-style money there. They're generally really large, and have great prepared foods and a great bakery and wonderful fresh seafood and and and ... really, the list goes on and on. They're also supposed to be a great company to work for, with excellent benefits and all sorts of perks that your typical grocery stores don't generally offer these days.
    Oooo! That sounds just like Nugget Market in Norcal (right down to the part about them being great to work for). It's like a grocery store and a gourmet store all in one. They have a cheese counter to die for and tons of prepared foods - from Chinese (they even have a sushi chef) to pasta to a bakery that has me drooling every time, as well as cold sandwiches and salads. I alternately wish I had one in my neighborhood and am thankful I don't!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;3232524;
    Oh Lucy. Wegmans is WONDERFUL. They started in Western New York, so I grew up with them. I've never been to a better grocery store in my life. They have all the good parts of Whole Foods/TJ's, but also the more "normal" stuff, and you don't have to necessarily spend Whole Foods-style money there. They're generally really large, and have great prepared foods and a great bakery and wonderful fresh seafood and and and ... really, the list goes on and on. They're also supposed to be a great company to work for, with excellent benefits and all sorts of perks that your typical grocery stores don't generally offer these days.
    There is another great store on the East Coast - Stu Leonard's. It is like a combination of Whole Foods, Bristol Farms and Trader Joe's. Yes, they do have some pricey items, but I found them, overall, cheaper and better in quality than most of the markets considered top of the line here. I live in CA. Stu Leonard's has the everyday items and the specialty items. I know they're in Westchester County, not sure where else they might be. But, it's still just about the best food experience I've ever had.

MRD

Ratatouille is a vegetable stew. It's fabulous.

Fresh Market has the best sushi and the prices are not bad. I got a dragon roll that had 12 large pieces in it for $7.49. The regular grocery also has a sushi chef and their sushi isn't nearly as good as Fresh Market's, nor do you get as many pieces for roughly the same price.

But I can't go in fresh market without visiting the cheese and the bakery. Two places that I need to stay away from.

Also their seafood and meat prices were very reasonable. The expensive items are the more non-perishable stuff. But I'm thinking that I'm going to get a prime rib roast for Christmas after looking at the one there and seeing the price on it. I've paid more for one at Publix.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The thing I like about Fresh Market is their stuffed chicken breasts. They've done all the work, you just take them home and cook them! For two people (or one), it's cheaper to pay the $8 than it would be to buy all the ingredients.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3232321;
    We are getting a store called "Fresh and Easy" sometime next year. It is supposed to be close to Trader Joes but not as fancy. You bag your own groceries and the aisles are bare but if it cuts down on costs, I am all for it. Is anyone familiar with this store? I hear they're from Europe.
    I stopped in one while in Arizona on vacation. My friend wanted to check it out for the already prepared entrees. I honestly wasn't that impressed.

Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3232556;
    Ok, what is ratatouille?
    A movie.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3232595;
    There is another great store on the East Coast - Stu Leonard's. It is like a combination of Whole Foods, Bristol Farms and Trader Joe's. Yes, they do have some pricey items, but I found them, overall, cheaper and better in quality than most of the markets considered top of the line here. I live in CA. Stu Leonard's has the everyday items and the specialty items. I know they're in Westchester County, not sure where else they might be. But, it's still just about the best food experience I've ever had.
    There's one near where I grew up. I used to love that place when I was a kid-- easily the most fun grocery store you could go to. They have all sorts of diversions for kids, or at least the one near me did-- a variety of different musical acts strategically placed around the store, I was always fascinated by the conveyor belts for the milk, etc, and out front they have a little petting zoo as well. They generally have pretty good deals on meat, especially on beef tenderloins, and it's one of those places you don't dare set foot in on the day before Thanksgiving or Christmas (unless it's about 7 am).

That said, the layout of the store is a tremendous pain, and I avoid the place for that reason. Rather than having an open produce section and a variety of aisles, the store essentially consists of one long winding aisle with one or two cut throughs. It's prone to cart traffic jams, especially with the entertainment, and if you should be so unfortunate as to forget your croissants while you're in the produce section, you essentially need to wind your way back past cheese, seafood, meats, dairy, coffee, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple others, before you get back to breads. It can take an age, since you're moving against the flow of traffic, and it can be absolutely maddening. Similarly, if you need just a couple things, you still have to weave through the whole darn store just to grab them.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3232613;
    The thing I like about Fresh Market is their stuffed chicken breasts. They've done all the work, you just take them home and cook them! For two people (or one), it's cheaper to pay the $8 than it would be to buy all the ingredients.
    I'm glad to hear they are good because I thought the same thing the other day when I was looking at them. I can't make those for that price myself.

my shopping cart traffic jam story:

I had taken my mom somewhere and she wanted to stop and get some groceries on the way home. It was during Tourist Season in Florida, which meant that the ONE store she wanted to stop at would be packed (it always is during that time of year). So we get in the store and she gets on the scooter (her health was bad back then, this was just about a year before she died) and takes off. I am literally in a line of carts that looks like the freeway. One slow moving line going up one side of the aisle, another one coming down the other side. I had just been diagnosed with anemia and one of the things I had been told to eat was smoked oysters. Which I LOVE. So I was trying to get a couple tins of them. One woman was parked in front of the tuna fish aisle (where the smoked Oysters are as well) and was studying the tuna fish like there would be a test on it. This was before they came out with tuna in a pouch or even the tuna salads in a pouch, so the choices were limited. I was getting frustrated and wanted to scream: YOU ONLY HAVE 2 CHOICES: TUNA PACKED IN OIL OR IN WATER. PICK ONE!!!
    So she bent over to look at the bottom shelf and I thought I could reach over her and grab some oysters from the top shelf. Well, I knocked them over and cans of smoked oysters fell and began pelting this woman in the head. I apologized profusely, grabbed my oysters and got the heck out of there. I turned down an empty aisle that only had a woman stocking on it and my mom is coming up the other way. I say to her: "Mother, hurry up so we can get out of here." She answers me with: "I saw what you just did, so please don't call me Mother as I don't want anyone to know we're together." The stocker just about fell off her stool laughing.
    So in my family and with friends, I have a reputation as an oyster chucker and am teased that if people don't get out of my way, I'll throw canned oysters at them.

It was pretty funny and my mom was laughing about it. But I avoided that store after that because it was always so crowded.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-12-2008 at 06:59 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3232681;
    There's one near where I grew up. I used to love that place when I was a kid-- easily the most fun grocery store you could go to. They have all sorts of diversions for kids, or at least the one near me did-- a variety of different musical acts strategically placed around the store, I was always fascinated by the conveyor belts for the milk, etc, and out front they have a little petting zoo as well. They generally have pretty good deals on meat, especially on beef tenderloins, and it's one of those places you don't dare set foot in on the day before Thanksgiving or Christmas (unless it's about 7 am).

That said, the layout of the store is a tremendous pain, and I avoid the place for that reason. Rather than having an open produce section and a variety of aisles, the store essentially consists of one long winding aisle with one or two cut throughs. It's prone to cart traffic jams, especially with the entertainment, and if you should be so unfortunate as to forget your croissants while you're in the produce section, you essentially need to wind your way back past cheese, seafood, meats, dairy, coffee, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple others, before you get back to breads. It can take an age, since you're moving against the flow of traffic, and it can be absolutely maddening. Similarly, if you need just a couple things, you still have to weave through the whole darn store just to grab them.
    Have only been to the one in Westchester and it was laid out better than all of the stores we have in CA. It wasn't one long winding aisle there. All of ours - especially TJ's and Whole Foods - are extremely difficult to navigate with very narrow aisles and way too much crowded into a small space. Stu Leonard's, on the other hand, was super sized.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Thought that some of you might be interested in this site, and find it useful!

Eat Well Guide :: Home
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread