+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Toss the cake mix. They say out of date cake mixes are dangerous. I read online somewhere that they can form a mold and harm you so I now always toss my out of date cake mixes. Out of date cake mixes and toxins | Taste of Home Community
    I checked out the snopes.com link provided on the post, and it doesn't confirm the truth of that e-mail - at least not completely. Outdated mixes are OK as long as they are unopened and the mix pouch isn't wrapped in bleached wax paper.

Unlike what the e-mailed caution would have folks believe, the foodstuff has to be exposed to its spores. Pancake mix cocooned in an unbleached wax paper, plastic, or a foil pouch within its outer packaging wouldn't have this contact and should still be safe no matter how old it gets. However, mix sold unpouched in cardboard boxes or paper sacks would likely be at risk even if the box or sack hadn't previously been opened, because such packaging would not necessarily keep dampness out, and mold thrives in damp environments.

What does all this mean? If you don't have a mold allergy, you needn't fear your pancake mix; if you do have such a sensitivity, you shouldn't keep your flapjack makings around a few years after opening the box or pouch it came in. It's not worth dying over 50 cents worth of pancake mix, so when in doubt, throw it out.
    snopes.com: Pancake Mix and Allergic Reaction

If it was a year past date I would err on the safe side and toss but that is just me. I know that the date on the box is the date the stores have to pull it by and that they do last longer but the levening ingredients in them may not be any good and you wouldn't know til you baked it and then you would have wasted the eggs, oil and whatever other things you put in it. I have cooked out of date cake mixes before and they wouldn't rise.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Since the mix was so expensive - about $6 - I think I'm going to contact the mfg and ask OR I might just try baking it to see if it rises. I'd hate to throw it out if it's still good. If it was a regular Duncan Hines or something, I'd just dump it, but it came from a gluten free store. The only thing worse than paying that much for a cake mix is not using it. Clearly, I'm not much of a cake eater!

Thanks for the info on freezing the cake! I figured it would need to be wrapped pretty well. Now I just need to make room I my already packed freezer! It's a good cake, but just way too rich for me to eat. The thing is 3 layers and is about 6"x6" - it's not a piece of cake, it IS a cake!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Does anyone have experience with the gizmos that suck all of the air out of plastic bags, when you want to store some food-something? I think I remember my grandmother having one, but I don't remember hearing any anecdotes about the stored products.

I have a friend who bakes professionally, and I always heard her talking about all of her cakes were prepared and frozen, and that people never knew the difference. Don't know how she stores them, though. Her cakes are so magnificent that she is able to charge $900 for them, with no problem. Not being "kitchin-inclined", I cannot relate; I just repeat what I've heard her talking about.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Has anyone ever heard of/tried fried grits? I heard a woman talking, yesterday, who said that it was something that she had gotten at Paula Deen's restaurant, and she said that they were delicious! Loving grits the way I do, it sounds like it would be good. This is an mrd area of expertise, no doubt.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I worked in food service for 25 years and it was/is common for bakers to freeze product. Any and every type you can imagine. But they had freezers and walk-ins used just for bakery items, so you wouldn't have to worry about smells from other foods (for example onions) getting into your baked goods or doughs. Maybe your friend has a setup like that Shay?

And your thinking of vaccum sealers? I used to use one quite a lot. It keeps foods forever. The bags are kindof expensive, but I've found them in places like harbor freight for good prices.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

My friend is professionally trained and is even about to open her own store, so it would not surprise me if she had/has exactly what you've described. She is a very particular woman, that's for sure. She loves, and is addicted to her baking craft, and it totally shows in all of her work. ' Perfection' is her middle name!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-23-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of/tried fried grits? I heard a woman talking, yesterday, who said that it was something that she had gotten at Paula Deen's restaurant, and she said that they were delicious! Loving grits the way I do, it sounds like it would be good. This is an mrd area of expertise, no doubt.
    If there were enough grits left over, my mom would put them in a baking pan in the fridge. Sometimes she would mix some cheese and spices into them first. The next night, she'd slice them into squares and fry them. We'd have them with supper.

Emeril has a recipe for them, but his aren't leftovers.

Grit, cheese and rotel baked is wonderful. I love grits but am the only one in my family that will eat them.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I got some cans of pumpkin that were on sale at the store thinking I could find a healthy way to use them. Well, today I was cruising the kitchen in "sweet tooth" mode and thought to grab a can of pumpkin. I put half of it in a bowl, added pumpkin pie spice and a small amount of molasses and heated it in the microwave for 45 seconds. Boy, oh boy! Was it yummy!

Does molasses last in the cupboard like corn syrup?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread