+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

I agree!!!

I am needing some chicken pot pie, about now!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-10-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My problem is when it gets cool and dark (and it's only beginning), that hearty food sits in the 'frig and sings a siren tune..."come to meeeee, come to meeeee". I wish I could hibernate like a bear and sleep through winter!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've got this thing about meatloaf and garlic mashed potatoes, too!!! You just about killed me with your post upthread! And, I do believe that ANY greens work for me! Cancel on the carrots, though!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Fortunately I control what comes into the house and if it's not here I can't eat it. Also, fortunately, there are a lot of good healthy frozen dinners available now. I love Kashi's Mayan something... plantains, sweet potatoes, whole grains, black beans. Yum! I got some Honey Crisp apples and they make a good snack if I start cruising the kitchen. Lentils, quinoa, and oatmeal are all quick, hot, and satisfying. Must get into the habit of starting those.
    Count your blessings!

My problem is this stuff IS in my house - I live in a cave of carnivores! And my resistance gets low, especially in the long winter months. Plus I have to cook it.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I have a great recipe called Chicken No Pie. From prevention magazine. A take on chicken pot pie but you get rid of the crust and up the veggies basically. It makes a great comfort food dinner we like. I might post it in the recipe thread.

Oh yes, and I made deconstructed stuffed peppers. Deconstructed because it is much quicker, and I make those with brown rice.

Pretty much all recipes I've tried from Prevention are yummy. But then when your HUNGRY most stuff tastes great!
    Last edited by livin4reality; 10-11-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Y'all need to come on over...I've been picking, cooking, freezing and eating greens (Turnip and Kale) for two weeks and this morning I made Pumpkin Bread.

coltnlasma I occasionally add warmed veggies to my salad.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Y'all need to come on over...I've been picking, cooking, freezing and eating greens (Turnip and Kale) for two weeks and this morning I made Pumpkin Bread.

coltnlasma I occasionally add warmed veggies to my salad.
    Mmmmmmm! Pumpkin bread is my favorite!

Does anyone have an opinion about sugar free vs. fat free Cool Whip? I'm making a fruit salad for friends and we're all trying to eat healthier, so I don't want to use the regular kind. I haven't had any Cool Whip in ages, so I don't know which one tastes most like the real stuff.

Also, how do you freeze cake? A friend gave my this girnormous piece of chocolate cake for my birthday and I need to freeze it - can't eat it all and my mom, the chocoholic, is coming to visit in a few weeks. Do I just wrap it in foil?

I found a gluten-free spice cake mix in my cabinet and the use by date is about a year passed. Is this something I should just toss? It was pretty pricey, so I'd like to be able to save it. What happens to a dry cake mix over time?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Toss the cake mix. They say out of date cake mixes are dangerous. I read online somewhere that they can form a mold and harm you so I now always toss my out of date cake mixes. Out of date cake mixes and toxins | Taste of Home Community

I have used fat free cool whip and I like it but don't know how it holds up in a fruit mixture.

You can wrap the cake in Saran wrap and then foil and it should be good for a few weeks. It should come out really moist. When I used to bake cakes for people
    I always froze my cakes ahead of time and they were good.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread