+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree382Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I have Used canned black eyed peas. But on New Years day, I do the full Southern treatment using dried. You do not mess with New Year's Day black eyed peas. ...
    While I'm not superstitious, mind you, it's such a part of my upbringing....I'd crawl across hot coals to make sure I had my black-eyed peas and greens on New Years Day!
    MRD likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Tis the season for pumpkin/pumpkin pie ice cream!!!! Rejoice!!!
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Tis the season for pumpkin/pumpkin pie ice cream!!!! Rejoice!!!
    ...and pumpkin butter, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin spice coffee...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Pumpkin spice cake from Trader Joe's =

I'm not much for pumpkin pie ice cream or lattes or anything, but boy, that cake is delicious!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My mom used to make Indian pudding with pumpkin and cornmeal - with molasses, I think. I may look up a recipe for that.
    That's odd - just looked up several recipes... why did I think it had pumpkin in it? I may have to make my own recipe for pumpkin Indian pudding.
    Count your blessings!

Oh Lord, help me! When fall and winter are here, I tend to fix comfort food, and it's so fattening! Tonight: meatloaf, mushroom gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, buttered carrots and spinach. S.O.S.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I know what you mean... I've fallen way back on the green salads and fresh fruit salads I was eating every day all summer. I've made a couple of crockpots of veggie soup on the weekends but I need a way to have hot veggies if a salad isn't doing it for me.
    Count your blessings!

Do you ever put your bowl of salad in the microwave for a bit to warm it? For me, this sometimes tricks me into making it seem more comforting and filling... and it seems the more veggies in it, the better it tastes warmed.
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Warm salad??? Now, that's a new one on me. Can't say that it calls my name, if you know what I mean. How in the world did you ever come up with that idea?

I know that German Potato Salad is warm, and I avoid that at all costs!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I say go ahead and enjoy those comfort meals when the weather turns cold! You can limit yourself to a couple or so a week in the right portions, SM. All your other meals can be healthy, weight conscious choices.

My favorite is smothered chicken with greens and cornbread.

+ Reply to Thread