+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree382Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

. . . waiting to see when black-eyed peas will turn up on avatars now . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

The music group or the food? lolol

For the record, I like the food. Don't care for the music group.

for Ellen...
    Attachment 28191
    heeheehee
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

sazon makes a pork seasoning I use sometimes instead of ham or ham hocks.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'll take the music group over the food any day!

(And I usually prefer smoked turkey over smoked ham hocks, anyday!)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I grew up eating them, so don't know if it's an acquired taste. I use smoked turkey wings instead of pork to make some of the traditional southern dishes that call for pig fat.
    They were originally grown for livestock and slave food. After Sherman burned Georgia, all that he left in the field was the black eyed pea crop and that is the beginning of them becoming a traditional Southern dish.
    Fresh ones are OUT OF THIS WORLD. if you can get fresh ones, you might change your mind about how they taste. We usually use dried or frozen.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd be willing to try the dried or frozen; I just wouldn't be willing to cook them since I think there is more "art form" there than I have! I love trying new things!

Somebody got me to butter beans, whereas I never had. Just didn't care for the look of them. She told me, "Well, you haven't had MINE yet!" There wasn't a bean left on my plate!

I sooooo admire people who are confident and overly-capable in the kitchen.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't like buying bottled water because of the waste. I have a PUR water filter on my kitchen faucet and it's just as good (if not better) than any bottled water. I have a reusable bottle that I carry everywhere. It's much cheaper than bottled too I think the filters cost about $20 or less and they last about a year. The water bottle is maybe $8 and I replace it once a year too.
    We tried those faucet filters and they didn't work well at all for us. Our water has so much sediment that it would clog up the filter within a couple of weeks and then the water would run at a slooooow trickle. When we remodeled our kitchen this summer we installed an Aquasana under-sink filter system with a separate faucet above the sink. It is wonderful!! The water doesn't come out ice cold, but it is so convenient that we just make lots and lots of ice. Previously we used a large Brita dispenser that we kept in our fridge, but it was such a pain to keep full with 6 people in the house. I am certain my entire family is drinking more water now!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    And, by the way, Popeye's is much better than old, tired KFC. I don't get it often but, when I do, once again, it's a real treat! ..... Popeye's is not exactly close to where I live!
    I looooooooove Popeye's. You are right, it is FAR superior to KFC!! It isn't close for us either, about 90 miles away. We get it only once or twice a year, depending on when we are in the area. It is probably good for us that it isn't closer, because it is so hard to resist!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    And Shay-that has been my memory of black eye peas from childhood. Is it an acquired taste blackeye pea lovers?
    For me it was. When I was a kid I thought they tasted like dirt. Now I like them a lot and my kids and husband like them a lot too. I know this is probably black-eyed-pea-blasphemy to many, but we typically just buy them canned and season them and cook up some fresh rice for a quick side dish with dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    We tried those faucet filters and they didn't work well at all for us. Our water has so much sediment that it would clog up the filter within a couple of weeks and then the water would run at a slooooow trickle. When we remodeled our kitchen this summer we installed an Aquasana under-sink filter system with a separate faucet above the sink. It is wonderful!! The water doesn't come out ice cold, but it is so convenient that we just make lots and lots of ice. Previously we used a large Brita dispenser that we kept in our fridge, but it was such a pain to keep full with 6 people in the house. I am certain my entire family is drinking more water now!!
    My parents have one of the filters that works like the one you have (different brand) and it's really great. It's just out of my budget. For now, the PUR one works well. My tap water isn't horrible or anything, I just like the filtered better. I do really notice the difference for tea and hot drinks. I can really taste the minerals in the tap water in tea or hot chocolate.

I do buy some bottled water because I like the Crystal Light packets that you add to the 1/2 liter bottles. MUCH easier than making a big pitcher, especially since I usually drink them at work. I like the fruit punch flavor and man, that red dye gets everywhere, even when I use the little bottles. I can't imagine how bad it would be if I made it by the pitcher.

I was born and raised in SoCal by midwesterners. We don't know from black-eyed peas.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I have Used canned black eyed peas. But on New Years day, I do the full Southern treatment using dried. You do not mess with New Year's Day black eyed peas.

Love butter beans. We get the purple specked ones here. I love all beans except kidney beans. May have something to do with growing up having to eat 3 bean salad at every reunion and church function potluck.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread